1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Cool" teachers letting us down?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ILoveTeaching, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I do semi agree, im primary - always try to stick to punishments, and if i say something i always carry it out - but giving someone a detention because they forgot a pen seems a bit OTT?! Suppose it depends on the school though and what standards are expected. When i was at comprehensive i think they would be happy if you turned up and had all of your uniform lol.

2. What an interesting thread,

I completely agree with following whole school behavioural policies, whilst in corridors, whilst on cover, during breaks etc. But in my classroom I do use my own judgment. The kids know their boundries from day one. Being a science teacher the entire displays behavioural rules in our rooms including a few additional for the health and safety aspect.

I have previoulsy said that I will not issue a detention for a child forgetting a pen once. Esp first occurence of anything bad EVER. I have to use my own judgement because like I said if you 'pick' on a child who perhaps isnt the most well behaved and issue a detention because he forgetsa pen, your well behaved, quiet, strong achiever is guaranteed to forgets his pencil case, or leave it on a train or somehting then you have to give him a detention to because unbehaved child will pick up on this.

I despise teachers who try to be kids friends, I had one! I am friendly but like I said the barriers are there, I don't particularly care if they don't like me, but I would care if they branded me a bad teacher.

If my HT had put a child back into my class I had removed or returned an item without consulting me they would know that I was very unhappy with the situation and they would know that I felt completely undermined. I would then probably be looking for a new job - but everyone is different.

BTW keeping something to September is UNCOOL...

3. Sorry my whole department displays rules

Esp first occurence of anything trivial EVER - and Im sure we all know what we class as trivial and what we dont

Meant to hit preview...sorry!

4. It's the same old story isn't it? Consistency. I agree we do all need to toe the line and put behaviour policies into force, that way the kids all know where they are. We also need continued support from SMT, what infuriates me is the attitude that we 'shouldn't try to hurt the kids', I don't mean physically obviously but there has to be some kind of consequence for their actions. If they were in the workplace and didn't follow the rules, they wouldn't have a job. Children's rights have taken things too far, no-one can have rights without responsibilities and the sooner this message gets through the easier our lives would be. I never hesitate to confiscate phones etc and put up with abuse that this generates, but we all need to be doing the same thing to make it work! Didn't realise I would start ranting so much, must be end of year hysteria! To original poster, well done for standing your ground and don't give up!

5. I have read this thread with interest. I am a young teacher who has been in a tough school for 5 yrs. I can really relate to the points being made, I am always told by pupils that I nag too much, am 'bang out' and 'proper shocking' when I confiscate mobiles, expect pupils to come equipped to lessons, wear correct uniform, hand in homework on time etc. I have even dared to call home to speak to parents BUT as the years have progressed I have fewer behavioural incidents in my clasroom that require remove as most pupils have learnt that I mean what I say and will follow everything through.
    I thought that I was one of the most hated teachers in school until my year 11s leavers assemebly where in their year book I was voted one of the best teachers in the school and the reason for it was that I was strict but fair and helped them to get a good grades. So for all you 'uncool naggy teachers' keep up the hard work, keep on top of the little darlings they will thank you in the end!!

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Have just worked in a school where all the teachers do follow the rules.
    Behaviour problems are very rare!
    Although I felt a bit mean for putting a good girl in detention just for showing her mate her new phone, I know that because we all follow the rules, from Year 7 there's no argy bargy and stress with the pupils; they all tend to follow the rules and don't challenge individual staff.
    She actually apologised! and was the first pupil I ever caught with a mobile- how many of you can say that after working in a high school for a term?

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We have the same problems at my school, and it makes life so much more difficult. i don't think it's the 'cool' teachers though that are the problem, but the ones who just can't be bothered.

I'm sure that, in the short term, it is easier to let bad behaviour slide, but in the long term, it is far more effective to deal with it. I've been a teacher for 2 years now and have always stuck to the rules. I confiscate phones, ear-rings, MP3 players etc. I don't allow pupils to wear trainers in my class. It annoys when I tell a kids in lesson 5 to remove their trainers and put shoes on, only to have them say 'you're the 1st teacher to tell me that all day'.

I did a cover lesson a couple of weeks ago, year 10 art. First thing I did was tell about 5 of them to remove headphones. They claim their teacher allows it. They were getting all mouthy when I made them wear correct uniform.

If all staff followed the same rules and procedures, and were consistent, then life would be easier. I work in a tough school, so why make it tougher?

8. You can be "cool" and also firm and apply the rules. Different teachers have different styles...personally im quite a chilled out teacher but kids rarel come to my class without the right equipment etc...I guess some of it is all down to personality of the teacher and kids...and believe me...it isnt cos of the school i work at!! Its in a "deprived" area...they can still afford phones and stuff tho!!

9. Agree wholeheartedly with the OP and with Post 18. I work in a special school where the children have learning difficulties, communication difficulties and behaviour problems. I teach one of the younger classes and I have clear expectations of classroom and playground behaviour. The children are helped to understand the rules with use of visual supports and I and my fantastic TA's stick to the rules at all times. As a result a class which came to me with appalling behaviour is now a class who can work hard at their tasks, understands how to behave and the children are happier and have made huge academic progress this year. The parents are delighted and everyone in the department has commented on their improvement. I have a high regard for the children but they need consistency and they have responded well to it. To see them enjoying their work in class is a fantastic reward. Oh - in case anyone is wondering - myself and the TA's have very positive relationships with the children and they with us.

10. Another aspect of this inconsistency: pupil X is 'on report' (sometimes there is a sliding scale - blue, yellow, red) and so the class teacher has to tick the behaviour boxes and add a comment at the end of the lesson. Imagine the scenario: pupil X has been a pain in my lesson. At the end I ask for his report. The number of times I have found that, miraculously, pupil X has 'worked really well - no bother', 'absolutely fine', 'no problems at all' in all his previous lessons. Am I going to stand out and be told by HOD or HT that it was only in my lesson that X was a pain? Only if I have integrity and value honesty. This happened so often that I tumbled to it eventually: teachers do not want to report that X (or Y or Z or A,B,C) have not been behaving appropriately in their lessons because SM blame them rather than the pupil(s) in question.

11. There is a weird belief that only rewarding good behaviour will pay off.

I was in a classroom once where one lad would mostly shout out, poke other pupils, make rude comments, lose his temper and generally disrupt. You weren't allowed to address this. Instead, if he managed to keep quiet for a minute he got praise and a sticker from the TA. At the end of a lesson he would have maybe 20 stickers. He would then go to the HT and get additional praise and a reward.

12. It might just be me but I find that I have a completely different "teaching hat" for each key stage that I teach.

KS3 zero tolerance since in my experience they cannot cope with anything else.

KS4 I take the line that I wish to treat the class as adults and this will be the case if it is reciprocated. This has been successful in most cases and though in the worlds eyes this may make me more "laid back" I think that it is a more fruitful and ultimately beneficial approach than strict disciplinarian. When it once was thrown back in my face I found I could resort to sanctions and everything else and also explain to the student exactly why.

KS5...I really hate when this group are referred to as "children". So do they. Considering there is a very small age gap between them and me (and a large amount of their teachers) I find it difficult to view them as a different species. Whilst we are still not mutually on first name terms and going out to the pub (more to do with professional relationships...I do have eighteen year old friends who are not at my school) I find it frustrating that the school still insists on treating them as if they were yr7.

As ever it is a case of differentiation, but I do understand the corporate responsibility argument. Perhaps, as ever and probably for all time there will be a staff in every school consisting of "strict" "chilled out" and "in-between" staff.

13. Treating everyone like a child seems to be common among teachers, particularly those who have never had another career.

14. GTP_Hilow

GTP_Hilow New commenter

Were do I start...

I begun a GTP course last year. I imagined that the school would be like my secondary school, rules in place and boundaries, how wrong was I!

The first week I was told that our department does not dish out dententions because it is negative..like is that not the whole point.

Whilst on playground duty I see students smoking openly, I find SMT who tells the students to smoke at the back of the field rather than in full view. The rationale is 'smoking is an addiction'.

I have a class that is wild and out of control- I decide to be ultra strict am then told that it seems as if I dont like the students (somebody give me a break!!!)

I have a major problem with Ipods and mobile phones...the students tell me 'Miss if we are doing our work why can't we listen to our Ipods' Umm because of the school rules!!!

Don't get me started on equipment...we are a school in a deprived area...blah blah, hence that student who is wearing designer boots worth £89.00 is unable to bring in equipment it is neither his fault or the fault of his parents. In my school if the students don't like you, you are regarded as a bad teacher! Yeah I know...it is so crazy!!!!

15. Post 51 I am exactly the same!

As a KS5 student not soo long ago, I completely understand, my school treated us like kids and we hated it!

Bio

16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Sometimes you have to treat them as they behave! Have one 6th form class that can be treated as adults, one that has many members who behave quite childishly- have to have different approaches!

17. re post 49, I totally agree. The biggest source of wonderment to me is where a student is awarded low marks by me on their report consistently, yet comes off report the following week. Useless. Re the original post, agree entirely. I think the problem comes where colleagues know there is no system to back them up if they try to confiscate a banned item. SMT never anywhere to be found, 'patrol' system being manned by office staff as the colleague due on duty is nowhere to be found, HOYs who 'let students off' and seek you out to excuse the kids' consistent disgusting behaviour... the list goes on. That's why sometimes trying to confiscate something is a battle not worth fighting!

18. i think we need to give these kids a bit more credit! while these teacher's think they are 'cool' the kids have far more respect for teacher's who they can see are consistent and fair. they know if they haven't been working hard and they almost look down on teacher's who do not recognise that fact. will they say 'mut mr x lets us' of course they will try it on but they know mr x shouldn't let them and they will see you as a stronger teacher if you say 'tough, i don't let you'!they will have far more respect and liking for you if they know where the boundaries are and, yoe, they can have a bit of a laugh within those boundries but they never, ever cross them!

19. I completely agree on the need for consistency. However, if we are all so consistent, where does all the inconsistentcy come from? All staff in all schools bemoan inconsistency, but never think it is them. what is the answer? challenging colleagues? or just continuing to put up with the consistency?

20. i agree that senior staff are usually far too lenient/or have too little time to deal with what they see as 'minor' offences! We as 'ordinary teachers' are not permitted to take mobile phones from pupils as some have mentioned...we have to get a senior member of staff to come and do this!!! how likely is that to happen????