1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking without a kitchen

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cinnamonsquare, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

We're having a new kitchen fitted next week - very excited, very much looking forward to having a new oven that works properly as well as proper storage and no more "dead" corners!

But it does mean no kitchen for 7-10 days and I wondered if anyone here had any ideas for decent food during this time? Lighting a camp fire/barbecuing in the back garden isn't an option as there isn't one and we definitely can't afford to eat out for a whole week. Will we just have to suffer microwave meals or does anyone have a better idea?

2. Clear a small corner of the living room (or dining room if you have one.....hey, I used my bedroom!)...then you put a table near a double plug-socket...on this you place a kettle and a slow-cooker. Underneath, put a toaster and/or a breville thingy - you can swap this for the slowcooker in the morning.
    Hey Presto - a mini kitchen! And for a week who needs more than hot water for tea/coffee, toast and slow cooked curry/chilli/stew/soup?!
    If space allows set up a microwave for things like jacket potatoes.
    And you can but an indoor disposable BBQ thingummybob for a weekend grill!

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

Lucky you - only 7 - 10 days! My old kitchen was ripped out 4 weeks ago and because we have had to have a new floor, new ceiling & new plaster on the walls we can't get the new units fitted until next week as everything has to dry out first. As our fitter will be working on his own & will have to alter all the electrics & plumbing first I won't get my kitchen back for another 3 weeks, then there is the new flooring & tiling, so mine will be 7 - 10 weeks!!!The new kitchen is completely filling our dining room, the dining room furniture is in the bedrooms and all the contents of my old kitchen are spread throughout the house - we are in chaos but it will be worth it.
    In the weeks before it all happened I froze lots of meals, I have a table under a gazebo in the garden with a washing up bowl, and a table in the lounge with microwave, kettle, slow cooker & toaster. I also have my much loved Remoska (from Lakeland) which has really come into its own. Cous cous makes a very easy meal and casseroles in the slow cooker are really easy. I am using a single burner gas camping stove to boil potatoes or cook boil in the bag rice, I usually have only fresh veg, but the frozen ones & particularly the steam in the bag veg are really good. Cooked chicken from the supermarket is good, and I am calling in all favours from friends - to help with the washing and to invite us for meals. I am even managing to keep using my breadmaker and my yogurt maker, so the family are still eating fairly normally. Good luck, I'm sure it will be worth it.

4. Electric steamers are pretty versatile too - my friend even did filled pasta in hers when she didn't have access to a kitchen. Also rice, fish, veggies, chicken... £15 from Tesco if you don't already have one/can't reach yours!