1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking with pears

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by susanrk, Aug 29, 2011.

1. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Our pear tree again is laden. Unfortunately they never seem to soften up enough just to eat raw. I've given away loads and stewed some for a crumble but would love some other ideas please.
    Thank you.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a lovely recipe for a sticky toffee pudding with grilled pears in the bottom. I'll have a google for something similar.

3. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Sounds great! Thank you.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

http://fondufork.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/sticky-date-pear-pudding.jpg
    The above is the closest I could find.
    http://www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/sticky-pear-pudding-with-caramel-sauce/2013
    This looks good too!
    http://www.waitrose.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BrowseCmd?customerAction=FILTER_ACTION&sortValue= &customerView=&fhQuery=fh_location%3D%252f%252fwaitroserecipes%252fen_GB%252f%2524s%253dpear%26omitxmldecl%3Dyes
    Lots of ideas here. If the link doesn't work then just go to Waitrose.com and search recipes for pears.
    I am very jealous. Pears are my favourite fruit.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

One of mine too. They go very well with pork, in fact when we have them, I'd always serve them in preference to apple sauce. The firmer they are the better, as unlike apples, they don't usually need fretting over in case they become a mush.
    Pears poached in red wine makes a brilliant desert and pears with stilton can be the basis of a brilliant starter. If they are really hard, poach them or grill them for a bit.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Last time I had a glut of pears, I pickled some and it went very well with cold cuts of meat.
    Pears go extremely well with pork and also with cheese (especially blue cheese!).
    I used to make a meringue base, top it with vanilla cream and then decorate with chocolate sauce, poached pears and stem ginger.
    You could also make a chutney with them - then you'll enjoy them later in the winter months!

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Indeed and a good, quick way is to peel and quarter some pears (reckon on one or two per person) and throw in an oven tray with pork chops, parboiled potatoes, oil and some herbs (bay or sage work well, as do thyme and rosemary) and bake in a hot oven for about 20-30 minutes depending on how you like your chops.
    Add cinnamon to this for something incredible. Serve warm with coconut ice cream.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Make a tarte tatin, but with pears.

9. I'm in the same boat. Loads of pears that are lovely when they ripen but unfortunately they do this overnight and when you are not looking!
    I make an upside down gingercake with pears which is moreish.
    Could make chutney with them as this will use lots (pear and ginger ?) but I've made loads of plum chutney cos I had loads of them as well!

10. Boo hoo. I want pears and have none!
    Pear chutney is one of my favourites. I confess to a love of all stewed fruits and adore stewed pears with yoghurt.

11. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

So do I.
    At our old house, we had a neighbour who was elderly and she had a magnificent pear tree in her back garden. She'd let me have as many as I'd want as long as I picked her a bowlful. We used to invite her to lunch (and last year to Christmas dinner!) as a thank you.
    Now she's moved to be closer to her daughter but that means an end to my free supply of delicious pears.
    Sigh.

12. I've got a pear tree of a totally unknown variety so no idea when to pick them and it's laden but the fruit doesn't seem to be easily detaching yet which I was told is the way to figure it out - no idea at all what to do with them either!

13. Some good ideas here so far Misterflibble.
    Forgot to add pear and blackberry jam - made that last year with some windfalls I found. Delicious.

14. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Brilliant ideas- thank you so much. If I could send some pears I would!