1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking with Lavender

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if I can eat run of the mill garden lavender (as opposed to cooking lavender)? Are there any plants that look similar and smell similar that CAN'T be eaten?If I can't do either of the above, where can I buy dried, edible lavender tomorrow without going on the net? I want to make lavender shortbread to accompany my eton mess at a dinner party tomorrow.

2. Does anyone know if I can eat run of the mill garden lavender (as opposed to cooking lavender)? Are there any plants that look similar and smell similar that CAN'T be eaten?If I can't do either of the above, where can I buy dried, edible lavender tomorrow without going on the net? I want to make lavender shortbread to accompany my eton mess at a dinner party tomorrow.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

NO!
    Lavender in food is a pile of foetid nonsense. There is a perfectly good reason why lavender is not regarded as a culinary herb - it makes food taste like a maiden aunt's knicker drawer

The Isle of Wight Lavender Company had a "cooking with lavender" exposition and it made me want to commit physical harm

Just don't.

4. I was given a lavender cookbook recently; haven't made anything out of yet, so I can't confirm doomzebra's description! However, it recommends that you use Provence culinary lavender wherever possible.

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Mmmm... lavender cup cakes. But just a tiny hint of lavender or they'll taste soapy.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

[​IMG]
    I love shortbread but prefer it to be traditional and un-sullied by unnecessary additives (even chocolate chips get a thumbs down from me). Lavendar shortbread is the sort of thing that sounds ever so posh on a menu but would put me off having it I'm afraid.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

*rummages in his briefcase and presents seren_dipity with a box of petticoat tails

8. I've never cooked with it as an ingredient but always throw a bunch of it on the barbie. Don't know if it adds flavour but creates an interesting aroma!
    Try www.what-about-lavender.com I haven't read it all, but it says that all lavender is edible.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

had lavender scones the other day. they were awful. waste of a good scone mix.

10. Thanks all. I have eaten lavender shortbread before and loved it hence wanting to make it. Alas, the best I've found is garden lavender and I am a bit scared to use it in case it's not the right stuff. So instead I will just use it to make the plate look pretty. (After washing of course!).

If anyone's interested my menu tonight is:

Starter: Gazpacho (wanted to do scallops and black pudding but having trouble sourcing enough scallops)

Main: Rack of Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Lamb with minted new potatoes and sugar snap peas and green beans. Served with Home made chocolate gravy (don't freak out, it's delicious!)

Desert: Eton Mess with homemade shortbread

Plus cheese to finish off :)

Wish me luck!

11. Sounds delicious! Hope it goes well. I keep eyeing up the meat recipes in the Green and Black's chocolate book, but haven't made any yet.

12. Just use the garden stuff. It's close enough. I like lavender in some food and I once had a soup with lavender in which was lovely - I only chose it because it as the only veggie option on the menu but was very pleasantly surprised. I wish I could remember what else was in it.