1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cooking what you want when you want!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Christel, Sep 6, 2011.

1. For years we have had to eat what I made with the kids in lessons at school or a limited range of v quick things or my home made from the freezer stand bys all planned in advance for the week.
    What a delight to get up in the morning and see the weather and use the chicken stock from weekend chicken to produce a wonderful pottage made from left over meat, a can of chickpeas and garden veg. It smells great too.
    Think I will go out this afternoon and see what bargains are in the supermarket too.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Having fresh salad rather than 5day old frowsty leaves from the bottom of the fridge - this is one of my favourite things!!

3. Have discovered the joys of the slow cooker-£10 from Tesco-make it up as you go along around 11am..go out for the day or play in the garden..whatever..all done for 7pm. No doubt about it..retirement is an opportunity to do things differently. In a former life there was not a chance of being organised enough (or late enough up in the morning!) to use a slow cooker. Recommend it.!

4. Oooh yes agree i have lonf loved my slo cooker- thinking of soaking raw chickpeas as I did in ththe past and cooking them in it all day as they have becone so expensive in the cans now.
    Planning a chilli in it for tomorrow :)