1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking turkey

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Greenteaaddict, Dec 23, 2011.

1. I have always covered mine in foil for the majority of the cooking time and removed foil for the last half an hour to allow the turkey to crisp up a bit. I have watched 2 chefs on tele basically just bung it in the oven. Which is the best way? Will the turkey dry up if not covered up?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I cook mine upside down!!
    Well lay it on one side of the breast for 1/3rd of the cooking time, then the other, then turn it the right way up. The juices run down into the breast that way and make it really succulent.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I follow the recipe in Nigella's Feast which does what Lapin says. Start upside down initially then turn the right way up.
    No foil. The temperature is higher than most so the cooking time is shorter. It always comes out bootiful!

4. Although I'm not doing the turkey this year, my sister has that priviledge, I would always cook the bird upside down for the majority of the cooking time. I also roast a chicken this way too, all the juices run through the breast and keep it lovely and moist.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yup and duck and goose!! The breast is most likely part of the bird to dry out, so you really want to get the juices into it.
    Happy upside down turkeys everyone!

6. Thankyou...do you cover with foil as well or just as it is? Looks like I will be cooking mine upside down then [​IMG]