1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by monicabilongame, Sep 29, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Here's a thread for short-cut tips in cooking... or anything else that makes it easier.

Mine is for makng yorkshire pud /pancake batter:

2pt plastic milk bottle with 1pt milk in it.
    Put the eggs and flour into the bottle with the milk.
    Put the top on and shake vigorously.

You can pour out the batter into the containers, and any you don't use can go into the fridge in the bottle for the next day.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Great idea for thread but I can't think of anything at the mo, apart from getting a takeaway when knackered!
    *Belle, desperate for upgrade to 'established'*

monicabilongame and nick909 like this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Great thread. I'm sure more ideas will come to me but...

Whilst tinned pulses are an excellent shortcut anyway, they're not quite the same as made up from dried...they tend to be a little on the hard side and can be grainy if mashed or blended for hummus, etc...

So, I take canned pulses such as chickpeas andsimmer them in their canning liquid plus a little extra water and a drop of olive oil. 15-20 minutes later, they're pretty much as good as made from dried.

4. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Good tip, nick. I'll try that

Shortcuts....hmmmmm. How daft, I can't think of anything! Probably because I'm so used to doing what I do that it all seems normal now.
    Ah, I always have bags of made up crumble mixture in the freezer for instant puddings - how's that?

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

I just heard today that you can make mashed potato and freeze that, and then just put it in the oven with a **** of butter and it comes out lovely.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have frozen mash then put it on fish pie or Shepherd's pie and it is fine.

My favourite roast dinner time saver is to parboil my potatoes, freeze them spread out on a tray then bag them up. They go straight from the freezer into the hot oil when I want them.

7. monicabilongame

Apparently the censor doesn't like the word *******. oh dear!

8. monicabilongame

If you grow your own herbs it's worth picking them and putting them in ice cube trays with a little water & freezing them insteady of drying them.... then you just chuck them in with whatever you are cooking. (It works also for things like mint in Pimms too, but not so good for stir-fry cos of the hot oil!).

Actually, this works as well if you want to do stuff like mulled wine/cider - brew all the spices and bits of orange, lemon etc. in water and then freeze it in useable blocks, and then just add it to the main alcoholic ingredient when you want to use it, and heat it all up together.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    solvacrime likes this.
  9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yep, it needs a bit of a whip after defrosting as it can split but otherwise fine. For that reason I think it's better frozen seperately from any cottage or fish pie filling. It also doesn't last ages in the freezer without acquiring that distinctive freezer smell.

solvacrime likes this.
  10. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I freeze par-boiled spuds too!!

bombaysapphire likes this.