1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking related Christmas pressies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bombaysapphire, Dec 30, 2015.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Let us all know about your cookery related presents on here.

My sister is going to be getting me both of the Roast Chicken and Other Stories books. They were hard to get hold of so only book two had arrived in time for Christmas. I have read it from cover to cover and have already made the cream of celery soup, a braised fennel dish and the saffron pilaf.

I also had the new Nigella. I will be making the orzo and squid dish on Friday.

Most exciting - my husband has booked me on a one day butchery skills course. It isn't until March but that means I will know which knifes I need before my birthday in April!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

With various donations, I bought myself one of those coffee machines that does the ironing and gives a massage on top of everything else! Makes fabulous coffee, but I'm still tracking down freshly-roasted single origin coffee beans that don't break the bank. Cheaper to drink wine!

Mr GL has acquired a day for us both learning to cook Chinese food in Chinatown.

3. bombaysapphire

The Ludlow Food Centre roast their own beans and appear, to my ignorant eyes, to have a good selection. I would guess that they do mail order. The coffee in their café is among the best I have tasted.

Can I send you my ironing?

cosmosinfrance likes this.
  4. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Ooh, what fabulous presents!

Youngest cosmos gave me Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries 3 which I was/am thrilled with. Youngest sister gave me an Amazon voucher - what to do with it? Do I really need another cookery book? What do I need? Help!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Eldest got me a Le Creuset corkscrew to replace the one she broke a few years ago, is pretty skint as she only moved into her first flat last month. Son no 1 bought me a mini hamper of specialities including salt aromatised with white truffles and a devilishly hot pepper sauce. Other son got me a Microplane, thoughtful for a poor student with low present budget.
    Also got some foie gras and veg apéritif spreadables and waiting for a top of the range gaufrier to arrive that we got through husband's work. Pretty pleased really

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lovely presents, all!

I had Ottolenghi's new book 'Nopi' which is full of stunning things although they're a bit complex and therefore for celebrations and when we have people round. Also got Kitchen Diaries 3 which is the opposite and full of such lovely sounding everyday things.

I received restaurant vouchers aplenty, for: Rick Stein's in Winchester; a place in the New Forest attached to a lovely farm shop; and Brasserie Blanc. I also bought Mrs909 a voucher for Angela Hartnett's place in the New Forest so that will be a visit to look forward to as well.

I also had lots of nibbles, including a vast jar of delicious pork scratchings; these incredibly addictive sweet/savoury peanut butter filled pretzel things; some pickled chilli condiments; dukkah; plus the usual chcolates etc.

And I had two homebrew kits plus ingredients to make my own full-grain brews; some craft beers and some posh craft beer glasses; wine and some rare English whisky.

They know me so well...;)

7. bombaysapphire

Gaufrier - waffle iron?

Sounds good. A microplane is very useful. I think mine needs replacing. I have had it a number of years and it has had a lot of use.