1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking on a budget

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by annap28, May 6, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    This is my first post on the cookery forum, but I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's lovely dinners, cakes etc! I'm a keen cook, though not everything always turns out quite the way I planned! Finances are a little tight at the moment, and I'm running low on inspiration as to what to cook on quite a tight budget. Ideally I'd like to plan my weekly meals so that I'm not running to the shops every other day. Does anybody have any recipies/ideas that they turn to when they're a bit strapped for cash? I'm not a vegetarian, but am happy to eat like one at times.
    I'd love to hear any ideas/suggestions,
    Thanks!

2. Don't foget rice - there are lots of different types, if you cook rice with other things it makes a complete meal.

One of my favorites is rice with fish and orange juice (1/2 OJ and 1/2 water) but you can addfrozen veg such as peas and sweet corn and a few spices.
    did you say you are in UAE - try looking for arabic recipes, the ingredients should be readily available and probably cheaper than ingredients imported for the Europeans.

I was given a tip by the pakistani lady who runs a veg shop about corriander. Buy a bunch, cut off the root, wrap in news paper and freeze. When you want to use it just crumble it into your cooking - not sure if this works for other herbs.
    Soups are easy and cheap and some can be eaten chilled instead of hot. Caurgette and corriander soup is great cold.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Has anyone mentioned stock?
    Stick all your veg peelings in a pan, add water and boil away. Freezes wonderfully - adds so much flavour to dishes.