1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking minibeasts.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ameljilty, May 12, 2007.

1. Just wondered if anyone can inspire me.

I'm looking to do a cooking activity next week with the children and our topic is living things and this week we are learning about slimy minibeasts.

Was thinking of making spiral biscuits. Rolling dough into spiral like snails shell.

Anyone have better ideas or know a suitable recipe for this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Just wondered if anyone can inspire me.

I'm looking to do a cooking activity next week with the children and our topic is living things and this week we are learning about slimy minibeasts.

Was thinking of making spiral biscuits. Rolling dough into spiral like snails shell.

Anyone have better ideas or know a suitable recipe for this?

Thanks in advance!

3. wiggly worms (or cheese straws) are quick & easy.

4. I dont know what they are! :)

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sago worms are quite tasty, and you can buy tinned chocolate-covered ants. Grasshoppers are delicious and nutritious, I've heard.

Sorry.

6. Worms in soil

clear plastic cup
    chocolate angel delight
    crunched up dark chocolate cookie on top of angle delight
    jelly worm resting 1/2 in mix

they looked really real and tasted great

I had 1 parent just checking it was edible xx

Have fun

7. we made minibeast cakes, was in this months issue of EArly years activity bank. make cupcakes and them decorate such as butterfly (cut of top make in wings) red icing and choc buttons or raisins for ladybirds, black icing and liquorice strings for spiders.
    I also saw on here, snail sandwiches. spread filling (jam, honey, marmite) on bread roll into a sausage shape and cut horizontally so it looks like a spiral! we also made jelly as the kids love the feel of the finished product, we mde caterpillers from cherry tomatoes and grapes on cocktail sticks... cherrypop x

8. Mini swiss rolls can be decorated to look like caterpillars.

I used to have a book with ideas like this in... I'll have to look for it because we're doing minibeasts after half term...

9. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

fuzzyduck- how do you make your caterpillars from mini rolls? This sound slike a lovely activity and we are doing minibeasts after half term.

10. You just buy the Swiss rolls ready made and the children decorate them with melted chocolate stripes, smartie spots, mint matchstick antennae etc.

It's so easy once they're had it modelled that they can get on with it largely unsupervised.

I just remembered using marzipan and food colouring to make minibeasts years ago - that was alright, though a lot of the kids didn't really like the marzipan!

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

12. I made butterfly cakes with mine the other day not particularly original but kids liked them. Or a biscuit decorated with red icing and black dots for a ladybird.

13. We have just finished a mini minibeast topic and keep our cooking very simple due to space and cooking restraints.

Worms: children spread the desired spread on bread (amazing how many children had never done this) and then roll it, cut off the crusts and use the back of the knife to make indents on the worms back.

Ladybirds: plain biscuits, red icing (that the children helped to make) spread on the biscuit, a chocolate finger in the middle and chocolate chips on the back (teaching the children about symmetry at the same time)

Spider webs and flys: chocolate digestives, white tube icing (excellent skill trying to squeeze and move into patterns at the same time) and chocolate chips and raisins for flys. You can also make spiders with two biscuits, spread in the middle and pretzel legs. And also with marshmallows in melted chocolate for the body and liquorice strips for the legs.

Have fun.

:)

14. We're currently covering minibests and I've cooked butterfly buns, honey sandwiches following a visit from a bee expert, snail sanwiches, decorating digestives/rich tea biscuits (or buns) with icing and sweets to look like ladybirds/spiders.
    Hope these ides are of use to you x