1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking gammon joint

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by chicabonita, Jan 24, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Should I roast or boil it? It's a small unsmoked piece. I plan to serve it with braised red cabbage and apple, and a variation on the theme of cauliflower cheese (broccoli cheese instead of cauliflower).
    Thanks for any tips!

2. chicabonita

Should I roast or boil it? It's a small unsmoked piece. I plan to serve it with braised red cabbage and apple, and a variation on the theme of cauliflower cheese (broccoli cheese instead of cauliflower).
    Thanks for any tips!

3. Personally I'd roast it, it will stay really moist as long as you don't over cook it...which means cooking it for much less time than they suggest on the wrapper. Roasted you can also make gravy out of the juices and it crisps up nicely. Sounds like a lovely meal :)

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

You can do both, which is what I invariably do. Boil it until cooked through and then skin it and coat the fat with sugar or honey and spices and roast, which means that you get a fabulous coating that crisps up beautifully, but which doesn't end up burning whilst you're waiting for the inside of the meat to cook.
    The other added bonus is you still get a lovely stock to make a soup with as well.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Although I've just spotted that it's a small piece, in which case it might not be worth the effort of doing both and you'd not get much stock either, in which case I'd roast it. If it's especially salty, it might be worth bringing to the boil briefly in some initially cold water to remove some of the salt content, and then roasting as normal, but most gammon and bacon isn't excessively salty these days.
    The above approach works for larger pieces though.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

place a couple of onion slices, a bay leaf and a few peppercorns in a small roasting tin, place the gammon in, pour over either a can of coke or some apple juice, foil over the top and well tucked under the edges of the tin, cook for about 60-90 mins in a moderate oven.

7. Nigella's ham in coke. Google it. Absolutely yummy!

8. chicabonita

I've got that recipe, it does look good. Problem is I haven't any full fat Coke! Someone mentioned apple juice- does anyone know if any other drinks are any good for this sort of cooking? Appletise, for example?

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, definitely, I often use Apple juice and it's gorgeous.

10. chicabonita

Thank you. I will do that then!

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've tried it a few times. I thought the black treacle added more to the flavour than the unpleasant fizzy sugar water I felt was just a gimmick. I agree it tastes yummy though.
    Today I'm cooking gammon in a similar manner but I've used plain water instead with a quartered onion, a sliced carrot and a clove of garlic in the stock.
    When the gammon was cooked, I took 3 ladles of the stock, added a couple of desertspoons of black treacle and added some ginger then reduced down till it was syruppy. Sliced an onion into rings to make a bed for the gammon that I placed on top, then poured the syrup over the gammon before I baked it.
    In the oven now. I'll let you know how I get on.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

We have friends for lunch at the weekend.

I have bought some smoked (very!) gammon hocks at o/h's request - ideas please???

13. My butcher once told me that if you have any gammon left over, leave the fat on it whilst in the fridge, it keeps the joint moist and prevents it from drying out..it works [​IMG]