1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking for two or more

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

In our house (me, OH, son 15, occasionally daughter 18) we are all picky eaters, so for about half the week I cook one dish that I know everyone will eat, then we have what we call 'every man for himself' nights where we all just do it for ourselves, then other nights I'll cook something for OH and me while kids cook for themselves, or sometimes I'll cook for me and son if there is something we both want that OH won't eat. It's a system that has grown up over time to save traumas over food. Both myself and OH grew up with being forced to eat things we hated, and it didn't do us any good at all.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My fiance's mother always catered to what her husband and children wanted (and still does). It was a bit of a shock to the system for him when we got together and I told him in no uncertain terms that he would eat what I made for him or fend for himself. Now, he eats what I give him with no argument.
    Occasionally, he'll request that we have a certain meal in the week and I usually indulge him (although he'll sometimes ask for an English dish which I've never heard of not being raised in the UK!)

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Sorry - feeling lazy - have not read all posts thoroughly.
    My attitude is as follows
    with children:
    eat what you are given, but do not serve food you know they really do not like (my 11 yr old "hates" fish - she'll grow out of it!)
    encourage them to try new stiff, but do not force it on them
    empty plate = pudding

adults only:
    we know what we like/don't like already so no point making yourself unpopular/stressed - most food is to both tastes (I like it hotter, so make it mild and ad chilli sauce!); occasionally 2 diff versions if tastes vary widely! The "I love it, you hate it" food is restricted to Restaurant meals!
    Life Is too short to squabble over meals imho!