1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cooking for one

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by adelady, Jul 7, 2011.

1. My sister does it. She usually cooks enough for two. Then freezes the second portion or takes it to work for lunch the next day.
    If you do it right, it means you do much less cooking altogether. Just heating frozen portions a few nights a week.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I always did, up until the last four years, as I'd always lived alone/in a shared house after leaving home.
    I always managed well and enjoyed the flexibility.
    But...been home alone since the weekend (M&D up at in-laws for the week) and have barely cooked anything! Made a nice meal on Sunday and Monday, and a throw together chicken thing on Tuesday, but had a ready meal last night, and am veering towards a takeaway tonight...I've also had school dinners twice this week...but I put this down to working late nights and being knackered as much as anything else.
    However, I'm looking forward to cooking myself a nice steak as an end of a long week treat tomorrow night; aubergine parmagiana on Saturday night (D hates aubergine!) and a quick version of a cassoulet on Sunday night (D hates Toulouse sausages and haricot beans!), though.

3. Since I posted this morning I've been thinking about all the dishes I can cook - aubergines, Middle East/North African etc - I'm planning an egg and lentil curry for this evening which I would never have got away with before.
    I particularly like the idea of cooking and freezing - It will be good to have leftovers!

4. Definitely go for the make enough for 2 or 4 and freeze it back! It has worked well for me over the last 10 years.
    My difficulty is switching to cooking for 2 now Climber is home more permanently!

5. Oh cosmos, you will learn to enjoy it...
    I am used to feeding the proverbial 5000, but as my kids are getting older, they are often not here (either at their Dad's, or eating at friends, or whatever).
    I find I have more evenings or weekends nowadays where I am often cooking for myself and I let rip and cook all those things the others turn their noses up - my spicy stuff, my veggie meals, etc.
    I even set the table for just little ole me!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I definitely think there's something lovely about doing this. It's too easy to just slump in front of the telly when eating alone (which is not to say I don't do this too - I do, often!), but sitting at the table and eating alone, either at home or in a restaurant*, whether in silence, with the radio on, or with a newspaper or book; it's a highly relaxing thing to do, and allows some quite reflection and peace as you enjoy your meal.
    *I've eaten alone in restaurants on a good few occasions and have always enjoyed the experience. I've often done it at lunchtime, if I'm in town etc. and stop for lunch somewhere, and when I was travelling alone, I ate alone in a restaurant many times...you get some odd looks (people usually assume you've been stood up, and look pityingly at you), but I couldn't give a b*gger. Sat on a pavement terrace, or with a good vantage point, it offers great opportunities for people watching, apart from anything!

7. nick - I have often gone out to eat alone. Mostly lunch, not dinner (or dinner, not tea, in my vocab).
    It is my "me" time [​IMG]

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I love cooking for just me! I can make everything exactly as I like it. And I can have exactly what I want.
    Looking after myself by putting good food in is one of the pleasures of life!

9. Yes!
    I love cooking for my kids and family and friends, but also just for me.
    A while ago I started a thread - may I remind you all of these great words...
    "The most important ingredient in any recipe is love for the ones you are cooking for.”
    Sophia Loren

10. Because I am hopeless with portion control I now have spiced sweet potato and chickpea goopy thing in the freezer as well as lentil curry and 4 lamb burgers. It is wonderful actually having leftovers instead of thinking you do and then finding your husband has hoovered them up as a midnight snack.
    Melanzane tonight - all prepared and ready to go. Kitchen tidy, will set a place for me and enjoy. Yup, I could get used to this.

11. You will, I promise!
    I like to light a wee candle and have a few flowers. I do that anyway if the kids are here, but I do it for ME, as well.

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I set the table for just me when Mr EG is away too! I usually set it in the dining room (when its just me and Mr EG we eat in the kitchen) and read the newspaper at the same time with some music playing in the background. So soothing...

13. LOL - I had dinner on my balcony too.
    However, I could not possibly post a photo - it was more like having a meal on a camping site than my usual sedate affair (I had just been "planting" etc). Rather than your classy glass of wine, I had a Pils - which I drank from the bottle!
    That looks very lovely though nick - my bottom would need a cushion on those chairs though!
    Get thee that piccie on the photo thread!