1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cooking for a Muslim

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Apr 29, 2012.

1. If you are not sure, just use a concentrated apple or graped juice instead of wine, I find it makes a good substitute, even without the %.
    Son's best friend is Muslim and is in and out of here like I dunno what as they also play for the same footie team. I have given up asking him what is ok to cook as he just says "Anything, Mrs. CQ, we are not as fussy as you think".
    He comes from a very liberal, unconformist family anyway (he has two mums and no dad ;o)), so I don't think they are too strict on food either.
    I have avoided pork, however ;o)
    But it you can cook perfectly well without wine and make things taste good, so I wouldn't stress too much.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It really depends on how strict a Muslim they are, some would not find alcohol acceptable, ev en though it has been cooked off. Some would, some will drink wine, but very rarely do Muslims eat pork. All you can do is ask, if alcohol is not acceptable use red grape juice.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think it depends on the individual. One woman I know (who is strict about halal meat) will not take food with alcohol added - she says that the alcohol is never fully burned out in cooking.
    However, there is also a ruling that states that it is not a sin for a Muslim to eat a forbidden food if it is done in genuine ignorance. So if they did not know there was alcohol and only found out afterwards this is okay.
    Personally, I would ask if it is okay to add a splash of wine. Oh, and remember to look for 'unexpected' ingredients that may not be acceptable. The one I remember is gelatin - not always an accepted ingredient.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Also do cook meat well as blood is not acceptable.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm planning to do Sole Véronique which is why I feel the small splash of white wine is an essential part of the sauce.
    I think I may bring wine to the boil in the micro to make sure it is truly alcohol free before adding it to the sauce.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I would never cook using wine/alcohol for a Muslim.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

this isnt an issue anyway as there is no blood in the meat we buy (ok there may be a tiny tiny bit....). We really should stop calling the red juice 'blood' as it is It is myoglobin, a protein.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm sure I read recently that it is impossible to remove all of the alcohol when cooking with wine or beer etc. There is always a tiny amount in there, no matter how long you cook for. Not enough to alter anyone's mind but it's still there. I personally wouldn't chance it unless I'd checked with the guest beforehand.
    Having said that, there is an amazing store not far from me called the International Food Store (an amazing store, btw, Cosmos is a fan as well!) which stocks food according to Halal guidelines (the butcher is Halal and there are no pork products in the store, for example), most of the food is Middle Eastern and the owner and most staff are Muslim, yet they stock Chinese Xiaoxing wine, which is about 15% abv. I suppose as it's used to cook with rather than to consume for its alcoholic 'benefits', then they are comfortable with selling it.
    I think half of EG's family are Muslim and I'm fairly sure Yallop is a Muslim as well. They're the people to ask.

9. egyptgirl

Yes - that's right. I was a practicing Muslim for many, many years and I if I had consumed wine accidentally I would have felt awful and ashamed. If Mum comes to stay, I will not have pork products or alcohol in the house and (you may think this strange) but I have a separate fridge and cooking utensils, plates, knives, forks .etc. for cooking everyday meals and for when Mum comes to stay so I know they won't have been 'contaminated' for her.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I have replied to your query on Personal.

11. What about using alcohol free wine for the sauce. Tell your friend that's how it made and then give them the choice whether to have it with their fish or not?

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

..and I appreciated your comments - you clearly understood what I was asking and why. Thank you

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The responses to your thread on personal has reminded me why I rarely post on there, H, giraffe's aside. What a bunch of pompous sods.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

so I'm not weird??

15. Absolutely not, H - just a thoughtful & conscientious person.
    Personal (and some of the people that use it) can be a minefield. I left the forums in 2010 for quite a few months and had my original username deleted because of a thread I started which attracted some very hurtful comments (it was re the situation with my mum).
    I was literally reduced to tears at a very vulnerable point in my life. Not nice.
    Now I stick to fluffy and light. It's safer

16. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

That's why I stick to life over here and on the Scottish boards. Everyone on the main forums is so...grumpy!
    WRT your original query- I'd miss out the alcohol for your guest to be safe.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

If you think that's bad try Opinion! [​IMG]

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hmmm...let's see.
    What's weirder:
    Having a genuine concern that your friend enjoys a meal and feels comfortable as a guest in your house?
    or
    Lying in wait on an internet forum with the sole intention of being demeaning to a stranger, under the safety blanket of anonymity?

Fairly obvious, really. You're not weird in the slightest, H. Merely human and a thoughtful friend.

19. Not weird at all H. I echo nick's post.
    There are some seriously odd people on both Opinion and Personal - don't worry. There are also some seriously nice people there too.......[​IMG]

20. egyptgirl

Me too! I stopped posting on Personal altogether because there were too many people on there who used it as a way of sharpening their claws.