1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking Doesn't Get Tougher Than This!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SuzeJ, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Mr J and I are quite excited about the prospect of it all starting again tomorrow evening, I even tweeted about it (only started with Twitter this weekend). We refer to GW as the tubby grocer, must think of an apt name for JT.
    We were fairly unimpressed with the new format last year although I suspect they'll probably keep to the same formula, going back to the old way may be viewed as admitting it didn't quite work.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Like Nick, I'll watch it, bit like a roadcrash it's compelling viewing!

On the good old Nicebites, they were referred to as Toad and Pastie, Torode=Toad, Greg=Pastie. still use the names myself.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have the world's slowest internet connection....and can't watch youtube clips let alone i-player!
    (Partly because I only have a dongle for connection, and partly because of the area I live....it is notorious for slow internet....and rubbish TV signal too!)

I gave up on X-factor because they pfaffed around with it so much....but I am loathe to give up on Masterchef!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Oh, I see! Never mind, I'm sure there will be plenty on here who will be happy to fill you in!

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A heck lot of showing off from what I've seen so far. Faffing around with sous vide this, confit of that, blobs and smears and micro-herbs and artful presentation. Some of them have been watching too much Prof Masterchef! Trying to be Michelin starred chefs when they've never stepped foot outside of their own kitchen.
    I'd love to see some of them just put a decent plate of honest food down and let the food speak for itself.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I watched yesterday...there seemed to be some 'honest' food.
    There seemed to be quite a few 'trio of....' offerings though!
    The woman who did the trio of meat - I'm sure they were tasty, but please, can I have some rice or potato or couscous...something starchy! and maybe just one veg? Eating meat, meat and meat seems a little heavy for the average stomach!
    The trio of med-inspired desserts ...I don't have a sweet tooth and would probaly have passed on the baklava - but the fig looked really good and I'd have yummed up the ice-cream to go with it!
    I had a small smile when two of the contestants declared their intention to cook salmon....until Greg pointed out it was sea-trout! Not that I'd necessarily have realised - especially under pressure and studio lights ....which is one of many reasons I'll never be a contestant on master Chef!

7. egyptgirl

To be fair to the contestants, when they do put down a plate of food just cooked simply, they have been torn to shreds by JT and GW in previous series.
    What I couldn't believe last night was how JT screamed in that poor man's (the one with the spaghetti?!) face! What an ego!

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Overall I prefer the new format. There are less car crash dishes in the invention test. Part of me misses that a little [​IMG] but there were so many before that it became boring pretty quickly.
    There are a few going through who look promising. Harsh on tonight's bunch that there are only 3 places left though.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Have to admit, not seen last night's. It was Tuesday night's that had me amazed at some of the cheffiness of what they were doing - the lad who tried to do sous vide lamb (I think?) and then served it up with raw pearl barley and other fancy stuff. Felt sorry for him as he was trying hard, but ultimately too hard, and couldn't pull it off.
    I agree - the contestants are under a silly amount of pressure to put cheffy looking food on a plate. Daft, really, as the title itself is a misnomer. None of the contestants are chefs - how can one of them be a masterchef? They're just cooks, in the same way as most of us on here are simply cooks, and not chefs (I think Cosmos has cooked professionally - not sure if anyone else has - Belle maybe?).

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have been a burger flipper - does that count as cooking professionally? [​IMG]

(I was also on the catering team at Church for some time....unpaid , so not 'professional' but I have to say that some of the things we did would've put professional companies to shame!)

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yup, did the lunches down the pub for a while, catered for parties etc. Also did the Governor's teas in my first post, asparagus rolls-that's how long ago it was, plus all the other cooking expected of a Food Dept.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

Again, pub lunches and cricket teas plus a good little side-line at Uni in rustling up romanic dinners for 2 for those who wanted to impress but couldn't cook!

13. egyptgirl

Used to 'work' in the kitchen of my family's hotel when I was younger - peeling potatoes and crumbling feta are the jobs that spring to mind!

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

So - some varied experience then - more than me, some of you, certainly (I have precisely none).
    The point I'm making is that I think the word 'chef' is used too freely, and often used to describe anyone who's a dab hand in the kitchen. The technical definition of a chef is actually someone in charge of a kitchen (from the French, 'chef de cuisine'), with staff working for him or her - hence why the title 'sous chef' also exists. Whereas someone who cooks mainly in their own home, is a home cook!

15. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Well I have to say that throwing them into a 'real' restaurant so early is a very harsh. I know they are not the top of the range kitchens but hey ho. I also find this part of the show very boring and I have fallen asleep 3 times already this week.
    As I have said before - it has no where near the excitement of the Aussie show, which doesnt have a voice over - the contestants speak for themselves and you become really attached to them and wish them well.
    I really do hope it improves.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I too prefer to consider myself a good cook rather than a 'chef', but at the mo I am more of an instructor to Mr Belle who is doing most of the cooking while I recuperate.

17. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

What has happened to you Belle? I've tried to find a post of personal to catch up but no joy.

18. People......duck legs are half price at sainsburys! I bought two fat legs for £2.64!
    I shall cook them tomorrow evening a la mode de no idea. Not confit......Mr C would have another heart attack just looking at them!
    Tonight might be another egg on toast night... just can't be bothered cooking at the moment [​IMG]

19. How did that happen? Wrong thread obviously! Ooops.

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm not posting on personal or opinion anymore. Got fed up of the bitching and sniping and constant reincarnations of banned posters. But it's nice on here!
    I fell off one of my horses last Sat and fractured my spine. Gory details on Health and Wellbeing if you're interested!
    Been signed off to end of next week then hoping to go back part time, but I'll just have to wait and see as it really is painful [​IMG]