1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking and Purchasing Food in Schools

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anonymous999, Oct 10, 2015.

1. anonymous999

anonymous999 New commenter

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I am a nurse looking into a multi-agency approach to obesity for a piece of post-grad course work and am trying without success to find out about cooking and nutrition in secondary education.

Simple questions for those that know:

1. Is cooking a "proper" part of the curriculum, as in is it assessed?
    2. Does it fully enable children to know how to cook for themselves or is it a starter education that needs parental follow up to be effective?
    3. Does it enable them to know how to buy ingredients in an economic way, eg: buying single veggies vs buying big pre-pack bags.

Quick answers are fine - it's a short report I'm doing so one word/line replies would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Joe

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

3. anonymous999

anonymous999 New commenter

Thanks, I've clicked join but it looks like there will be some qualifying email hoop I need to get through to get in as it's a group only for food teachers. I hope it's an easy question I can use my ninja skills to answer and then ask them there :)

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Hi, I've copied your post to the Food Teachers group.