1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cooking a chicken

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by peninhair, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Have a group of friends coming for the weekend, thought the easiest thing to do was to roast a chicken and serve with salads, potatoes etc. I have bought a 1.35kg premarinated chicken but there are no instructions for timings, it has been so long since I did a whole chicken as I live on my own.
    Any ideas on what temperature and roughly how long? I can't remember!

Thank you!

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the instructions will be on the underside of the label (facing the chicken skin)

it will be something like 20 mins per 500g plus an extra 20 minutes. @ 200c/number 6

Make sure you stick a knife into the deepest part and see if the juices are clear

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'd cook it on 220C for about 20 minutes and then 45 minutes to an hour at 180C.
    Check for the juices running clear in the thickest part of the chicken - the upper thigh - with a skewer.
    This is to my tastes - I hate overdone chicken breast. I don't mind the slightest tinge of pink in my chicken, and would rather that than overdone.
    Ideal is to use a meat thermometer. I've embraced the meat thermometer. About 71-75C and you wull have perfectly cooked chicken.
    Follow the above temp and times and you won't go far wrong, with a little of your own judgement.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Forgot to add resting times, which are crucial.
    At least 20 minutes and ideally 30 - on a pre-heated plate, tented with foil, in a warm place.

5. Thank you!
    The instructions aren't there which is why I have queried it. Think I have probably picked a misprinted one.

6. I'd put it in the slow cooker for the day