1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cookery programmes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Dec 20, 2010.

1. nigel slater's simple suppers
    his 'simple' is my 'pulling all the stops out'
    even if they did use noah and the whale's music (shameless plug)

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

like jamie with his quick splash of olive oil everywhere.....surely so much olive oil must make his food so greasy

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

now stuffing requires a kilo of pork shoulder......its cheaper to but it out of a packet in tescos!

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I do try out some of the stuff they show

but i tend to have a cut off point in ingredients, say no more than 2 extra items that I wouldn't have in any why. The more I try the more ingredients I find I have in.

I also refuse to try some of the stuff they show due to sheer volume of ingredients.

5. i met the lovely grandma from the '40's house' (remember that) - she said what she loved about wartime recipes was how few ingredients each required (google marguarite patten for recipesd)

6. andromache

andromache New commenter

marguerite patten is excellent! i heard her interviewed on the radio recently, aged 95 and sharp as a tack.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Remember TVcookery programmes are there to entertain, primarily. Teaching people to cook is just a secondary function. I often cook ideas from the programmes, but if I haven't got all the stuff, I improvise. Having studied cookery and cooked for years, does tend to make one a bit blasé about keeping to the exact recipe. So if you see something and fancy trying it, adjust the recipe to your available ingredients.

You can always post in the cookery forum for help, I'm sure one of us regulars will help.

8. That Wartime Kitchen Garden or whatever it was - leek pudding. My aunt said that had been a staple and it was an abomination.

9. I saw something on TV the other night and thought it would be quite easy to do. My bro-in-law and family are threatening to descend on Boxing Day - yeah, no probs, will knock up a simple "feed a crowd" simple supper ... have just downloaded the aforementioned recipe. It runs to three pages.

Turkey sandwich, anyone?

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Turkey cold with bubble and squeak.

11. My favourite meal of the year. Cold turkey. B&S. Various sausages, stuffing, bread sauce bits. Hot gravy. Yum yum.

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I kinda agree with oldsome to some degree. Some night just opening a jar to add to the meat/veggies is lovely. Quick and generally tastes fine and will fill a hole

I do enjoy cooking when I have the time, other times I will throw a stir fry together. Spag Bol is often the quickest and easiest of my meals. Brown the mince, add veggies, toms, squirt of paste and a stock cube if needed. Job done.