1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cookery Competitions on TV.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Feb 28, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Are they about skill or stamina? I mean Masterchef, especially the pro kitchen bits, also The Great British Menu, I've just made the Cornish Pasties from Paul Hollywood's recipe and I'm worn out!!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

They are excellent though.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I once made just a couple of dishes from Atul Kochar's menu from the very first Great British Menu: I can't remember the details but one was something with sea bass and an extremely complex sauce and accompaniment with many stages and ingredients and the other involved potatoes, again with many, many stages.
    It was hard work, definitely involved a degree of skill but mainly stamina. The hardest part was making sure that all the components were tended in the right order and completed at the same time in order that none of it was stone cold by the time it came to eat it. It's not surprising that high end restaurants have a small army in the kitchen.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Oooops, I meant The Great British Bake-off of course, just goes to show how knackered I was!!

5. All Atol Kucher recipes take stamina, that's his USP. I mix and match his recipes with Madhur Jaffrey and Amjum Anand (BBC Easy Indian lady). Always gets good results.
    I was intrigued by the Hairy Bs lazy weekends show this week - devilled kidneys that I think I want to eat. I don't do kidneys or liver but may have changed my mind based on that few seconds of telly!
    The recipe and video clip.