1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cookery club

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex2606, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I am about to start a cookery club for Ks2 at my school. Does anyone have any fab ideas for recipes that could be done and tidied away within an hour?
    I have 10 members each paying £1 per week so the recipes need to be cheep and cheerful. I am able to use a microwave, oven and hob.
    Also does anyone have any ideas for activities that the chn can be doing when the food is cooking? We are going to start a recipe book but I dont want to make them copy the recipe out as I dont think many would come back if I did.
    Thanks in advance
    Bex

2. Hi there
    I am about to start a cookery club for Ks2 at my school. Does anyone have any fab ideas for recipes that could be done and tidied away within an hour?
    I have 10 members each paying £1 per week so the recipes need to be cheep and cheerful. I am able to use a microwave, oven and hob.
    Also does anyone have any ideas for activities that the chn can be doing when the food is cooking? We are going to start a recipe book but I dont want to make them copy the recipe out as I dont think many would come back if I did.
    Thanks in advance
    Bex

3. Why not have a look at the Let's Get Cooking website.
    Scones are a cheap and cheerful first recipe and you can used the same dough to make pizza the following week.
    We do quizzes and taste tests while the food is cooking. Have fun. It's a great club to run.

4. Hi Bex
    I have run my cookery club for ks2 kids for a few years now and really enjoy it, I have 8 kids for only 45 mins and charge £1 weekly (but paid up front as some kids 'forget' to pay, leaving me out of pocket.
    I keep things simple, mostly savoury stuff
    Burgers
    cheese straws
    Pizza's
    Tuna/sweetcorn.mayo and pasta
    Crunchy tortilla wraps
    sausage rolls.
    They do the lot from preparation to washing up and putting away. If there is time, they do food wordsearches, quizzes etc We have doen recipe books in the past.
    Its always a popular club and I have a waiting list. To fit them all in, I change kids every half term..
    Good luck, you'll enjoy it (and so will the kids)

5. I was thinking of doing cookery club for KS1.
    Provision isnt very good in my school so I'd have to have a small number of kids (no more than 8 I think) in order to be able to cook things in time.
    Has anyone done this in KS1?
    Was thinking (over 5 weeks)
    Pizzas (maybe not the dough...just putting together - plan it ect)
    scones
    fairycakes/buns
    cookies/biscuits
    and something else....

Was hoping to begin week after next to give me some prep time. Any ideas as to whether cookery club in KS1 can work?

Doodles

6. Thanks for all of your ideas. I've decided to do pitta bread pizza, soup, tuna pasta salad, samosas, lemon fairy cakes and choc chip cookies.
    I've typed out all of the recipes so that I dont have to mess around with it each week and have found some food related puzzles that the kids can do if there is a gap between tidying up and the food cooking. Also a food hygiene and nutrition quiz.
    I'm really looking forward to getting started next week.

7. Hi
    Me and another colleague at school were thinking about setting up a cookery club at school beacause a brand new kitchen area has just been put in. Just wondering if it is easy to set up or do you have to go through lots of regulations or form filling in etc because of safety etc?
    We would love to set up this club, so any feedback about setting a cookery club up would be great :)

8. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Hi All
    I set up a cooking club at my previous school. We were lucky enough to get funding from Lets Get Cooking. Even if you have missed your counties main 'sign up' it is still possible I think to become an associate club which I think still brings £500 per year. With huge support from my previous head we also were able to access the main school kitchen so had access to the huge ovens which was a huge bonus.
    We nearly always started with muffins, including savoury ones. The recipes are all available on the Lets Get Cooking website once your school becomes a member.
    I really enjoyed running the club, it was so nice to spend more relaxed time with children from Year 6 to Year 1. The younger children were actually more tidy than the older ones!

9. I looked into it at school and have decided against cookery club. We dont have much equipment (and the budget has been frozen so i cant even buy anything new!) and I think it would be too much prep and planning. Im now thinking of a ks1 games/pe club as there is loads of stuff you can do with this. Our school is very sports orientated so I could intro basics of tag rugby, ball skills, throwing and aiming...all stuff which is covered in PE sessions I suppose but with a lot more fun games thrown in. More of an amphasis on fun and playing.
    D