1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cookery books

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I am a voracious reader of cookery books. I love Claudia Rodin's writing as she tells so many stories amongst the recipes.
    Never really know how many actual recipes I use from eaxch one, for some, it's a lot and others maybe one or two, but I read the books like a novel!!

2. I love cookery books, I read them in bed. Claudia Roden is my favourite - redicovered - and cook quite a lot from hers. Nigel Slater is fabulous, again I love the way he writes and his recipes are gorgeous. Delia was my guru for many years and I have cooked most of her recipes at one time or another.
    Elinor Fettiplace, Hannah Glasse and Sir Kenelm Digby are wonderful reads even if I don't use their recipes.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've got something like 120 cookery books that I peruse all of, and use most of them fairly regularly. Even if I only use them once a year, I consider it worth it. I probably read them far more than I use them as well. I recently had a turf out of the ones I don't use at all, so the ones I've got are keepers.
    Favourite writers are Simon Hopkinson, Elizabeth David, Marcella Hazan, MFK Fisher and Richard Olney - for their writing alone as well as some fabulous recipes.
    Curse you, cosmos, that's more research and buying for me to inevitably do! [​IMG]

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love reading cook books - almost as much as I love cooking. I love tracking down old and battered cook books on second hand book shops as well (not just limited to this country - have spend many happy hours in shops all over the world doing this!). I don't know how many I have but I collect cook books like Mr EG collects CDs and music memorabilia.
    A terrible thing has happened recently though - I've developed a pregnancy craving for buying cook books. Well, as long as Mr EG is happy for me to get away with it...