1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

converting to teaching at a special needs school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lchapman88, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I don't know if anyone can help me??
    I am an NQT, and after working at an age 3-16 special needs school for a number of months on supply, I now know that I would definitely like to look in to teaching at either a special needs or primary school.
    I have a secondary music PGCE and was wondering if there was any additional training or a conversion course that I would need to complete?
    Many thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. Hi,
    I don't know if anyone can help me??
    I am an NQT, and after working at an age 3-16 special needs school for a number of months on supply, I now know that I would definitely like to look in to teaching at either a special needs or primary school.
    I have a secondary music PGCE and was wondering if there was any additional training or a conversion course that I would need to complete?
    Many thanks!!! [​IMG]

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

You wouldn't need a conversion course for special, the school would train you via in service training programmes and your NQT induction once you got a permanent job. Most special schools expect to train any new members of staff (as well as their established staff.) There are things you culd do in preparation, but you probably know what they are from your supply work.

4. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hello, yes there is no special conversion course or anything. You may have a bit of difficulty securing a position with secondary training, as students in a special school will be working at low developmental milestones. So doing a course or training on child development or early skill development may be beneficial for that purpose as you need to be able to demonstrate that you can plan for a significantly lower ability level than your training. There are also some really good postgraduate and diploma level courses you could think about, especially at Birmingham and Manchester Universities. But enthusiasm goes a long way- so go for it and see what happens! Good luck :)