1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Converting to an Academy.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tyke1982, May 24, 2011.

1. I have a question regarding the conversion of a school to an academy.

If a school that is in special measures gains approval to become an academy, when it re-opens as such does the special measure status disappear and a new inspection is required?

If Ofsted rule that no NQTs can be employed due to special measures but the school will become an academy before the new teacher takes up his/her post then can Ofsted prevent this or is their ruling on the old SCHOOL not the new ACADEMY?

I am asking this as a job advert I have seen advertises a post as ideal for newly qualified teachers or more experienced practitioners yet on checking the schools Ofsted report it claims that NQTs cannot be appointed. However, the scholl is due to become an academy in september, which is when the appointment will commence.

Does anybody know how this works? It's all a bit confusing.

2. We are also in the process of changing into an academy. As I understand it once your school is closed then that is that, it no longer exists. The academy will open under a new name, probably with a new staffing structure and no Ofsted record. Therefore, they can employ whoever they like. and all existing staff with be TUPEd over. The advert should say in it somewhere that the appointment is for the new academy.
    Hope this helps!

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

One would suggest that if OFSTED have stated that no NQT can join the school in its present state, that is because no NQT should be joining it.
    When the school changes its spots and becomes an academy, one would presume that large sections of the present school - staff, students, management - would still remain in place. That would still make it a place not ideally suited to a NQT.
    Be careful about joining a school under these circumstances. Teaching is an idealistic profession, but there is little room for inexperience in schools that are up against it.