1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

converting to academy and maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by honeybee1983, May 10, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Just heard that my school is applying to convert to become an academy and I wondered where that left things with maternity pay.
    Our head said pay and conditions would be the same, but can they change them? Myself and hubby are going to be trying for our first baby in August and now I'm a little worried that they will change maternity pay. Have any of you got any information about this?
    Thanks

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It would be extremely difficult for them to change the terms and conditions of existing staff.

3. Am I right in thinking that when a school converts to an academy, teachers contracts with the LEA cease? If this is the case then surely that will have a knock on effect to the amount of maternity pay etc you recieve? I am same position as honeybee and because of the time working for LEA and school I was in line to recieve the top maternity pay/conditions but am concerned that I will be worse off if school changes to academy?

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

it has been agreed that continuous service will be recognised between LEA-academy-LEA so you should be fine

5. I'm so glad I've just seen this!

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant and am hoping if all goes well to go off on maternity leave on the 1st of December at the latest (baby is due on the 21st). At that point my school will be still part of the LA. From January 1st we will be an academy. Will this affect my maternity pay and leave? I'm worried I'll have to go back early or won't get paid the full amount I'm entitled to!

6. Thanks for the information! It's really useful to know what could happen on my return to work. There's a meeting with union reps at my school this week so I will raise these issues with them then.

7. Hi there

I am currently working as a supply teacher for a LA and will have completed 1 year's service in September. I am now 6 weeks pregnant and agreed to take on a temporary part-time role in a school from September to December (to cover maternity) who are now going to be converting to an Academy on 1st October. I have been working as a supply in this school with a regular day or two a week since September 2013. Can someone please tell me if my contract from September 2014 will count as "existing staff" and also whether I will still get the same maternity pay I would be set to receive from the LA? The staff will all still be paid though the LA Payroll. I'd really appreciate some advice as I'm panicking that I won't get anything now!

8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Not sure this is true because part time workers cannot be disadvantaged.

There are more knowledgeable people on here who may know more.

9. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

Be careful with part time requests, as it all changed on 30 June, making the change permanent. There's an ACAS code of practice which explains it all at www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx

After TUPE, any change should be for an economic, technical or organisational change and be no less favourable than the original contract. However, what an academy might try to get away with is another matter.

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It was always the case that a change to part-time granted under a flexible working request was a permanent variation of contract, Siegen. What changed on 30 June 2014 is that now anyone has the right to make such a request - it is no longer restricted to parents or carers.

11. lozcw

lozcw New commenter

Hi, just wondered if anyone had the definite answer to this? I've just gone on maternity leave and looks like my school might become an academy.
    Thanks.

12. frustum

frustum Established commenter

You should be protected by the TUPE regulations, which protect your terms and conditions as they were before the change of ownership. Do be careful, though, if you go back part-time; if you have to sign a new contract, that could have different terms and conditions. I suspect there may be some protection against this, but for goodness sake make sure you check things out with your union before signing anything.