1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Converting NC levels and subdivisions into numerical data for statistical analysis

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by tolkien, Mar 27, 2009.

1. tolkien

tolkien New commenter

Converting NC levels and subdivisions into numerical data for statistical analysis:
    Is there a standardised way of doing this?
    For example, is a 3c equivalent to 3.2 or 3.25 or 3.33 etc?
    If anyone has any details or examples it would be much appreciated.
    Put simply, we are trying to build an assessment system which allows level data to be treated as numerical data which can be analysed across cohorts, and compared to previous cohorts, national averages and similar schools.
    On another point, does anyone know if there is an excel based repository of national NC data statistics for the past 6 years for Englsh, Maths and Science at KS1, KS2 and optional Y8 data?
    Many thanks.
    My email is here if that's easier than a forum reply.

2. Why not simply convery levels to their APS grades?
    Are you trying to do this in a spreadsheet? If you are and you don't want to convert to APS, you can create a table mapping levels to whatever values you want, name the table and then use vlookup function to find the value for the level.

3. tolkien

tolkien New commenter

Forgive me for not knowing much about aps grades . Can you send a link with more details. I'm in the independent sector and not totally up to the minute with assessment in state schools. Many thanks

4. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

APS- average point scores work like this:

w- 3
    level 1- 9
    2C- 13
    2B- 15
    2A- 17
    level 3- 21
    level 4- 27
    level 5- 33
    As far as national data is concerned level 2 (for end of key stage 1) is the only level that is split into separate APS scores. All other levels have APS scores that match the b strand e.g. level 4 is 27 points which is a 4B even if the child is a 4C or a 4A .
    You can split them into finer APS strands if you wish but you will have to watch your averages then. It is 2 points per strand.
    So the finer strands would be:
    1c- 7
    1b- 9
    1a-11
    2C- 13
    2B- 15
    2A- 17
    3c- 19
    3b- 21
    3a- 23
    4c- 25
    4b- 27
    4a- 29
    5c- 31
    5b- 33
    5a- 35

APS is useful for looking at how well a cohort is doing when percentages don't give the real picture. Say for example there are 2 neighbouring schools that have achieved 90% level 4 plus in English. One has a much higher APS than the other. This is probably because they achieved a high number of level 5s whereas the other school had mostly 4s.
    It's particularly useful at KS1 I find. My percentages a few years ago were 88% level 2 and above in reading and writing. Not so bad, but the APS was low. This made it clear that a large number of those 2s were 2Cs (in fact most of them were). Good to know because 2Cs have a poor success rate at achieving 4s in Year 6.
    I hope that vaguely answers your question. I googled it but there doesn't seem to be a standards site link or a DCSF link so I have had a go at explaining it a bit myself!