1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Converting from Free to Paid

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tjra, Mar 21, 2016.

1. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

I made a resource ages ago and received some good reviews for it. When the TES allowed payments, I decided to charge £1 for it; then I forgot about it. I received an email last week that it had been paid for. Logged in and found I have accumulated the princely sum of £17 in my TES account!

I've uploaded a scheme of work with all resources for something else (setting the price at £5 which I think is reasonable) but I'm dubious as to how many people will pay for it because there are no reviews for something which they can only preview part of.

I'm sure that people have been paying for my old resource because it has a good rating and reviews on it so they think it will be worth it. These ratings were acquired while the resource was free. Why can't we open our resources to be free (with anyone who downloads it having to write a response/rating in return for getting it for free) and then later push the price up if/when it turns out that people are willing to pay for it? I certainly wouldn't pay £5 for a resource that I could not view in full...

Charleei, wilkieway and wanet like this.
  2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Reviews are slow in general. I'd imagine that is something the TES are left scratching their heads about.

I've not thought about converting free resources, I like that they are free and have accumulated reviews over time... Potential buyers can view my free resources to see what sort of quality they'll get from my paid resources, although I think my paid resources are better quality. I still upload free resources in addition to the ones I have for sale.

That said, I've got a few resources which have been purchased 40+ times and still haven't had a review. I don't always review a book I buy on Amazon... I suppose it's the same mentality. Perhaps something we should do, but just don't.

I'm satisfied that people can only preview resources - otherwise, they could just download and use without purchasing it. However, I do think that sellers should be able to select slides or certain worksheets that they want to show in their preview - I've voiced my opinion about that before on here.

If you genuinely believe your resource to be worth £5 and you'd pay £5 for something of similar quality, then stick to your guns. If you've not made any sales in another month, drop the price? Good luck :) And well done on your £17 surprise!

Charleei, wilkieway and mathsmutt like this.
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

It is possible to take a snapshot of a worksheet or a slide by using "PrtScn" to copy and then pasting the result into a graphics programme ( or by using the Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories). These snapshot can then be saved in gif format and uploaded as part of the resource.This is how I have made the previews of my pdf ebooks.
    The down side is that the purchaser gets a bunch of redundant gifs.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Or you could simply upload part of the pdf.

5. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

6. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

This is a very difficult question. TES are clear that one can't convert a free resource to a paid one, and I accept the argument. Looking at a lot of my free stuff that have good ratings and many downloads, some are just very simple things I produced in a relatively short time, and the reviewers are simply saying thanks, nice resource. But it has been noted before, that the number of reviews is very small compared to the number of views. TES have talked in meetings for authors about how this might be addressed, as I believe Uber taxis work, but that might necessarily be good. People might download something, decide it isn't for them, or not what they would have done, and give it a bad review. I think some of my stuff is what I would (and do) use, but not to everyone's taste (I tend to go for challenge, and that isn't always welcome.) So some of my stuff, great reviews, lots of downloads, stays free, because I wouldn't want to charge for it. And as said above, it might bring people to look at my other, paid-for stuff, and give examples of my quality.
    As to paid stuff - here's a story that I related to the TES team when they came to Birmingham. I looked at KS2 maths, and saw that roman numerals were new to the specs, so I created a couple of sets of resources in the belief there might be a demand. I put them up for free, tweeted that they were free for the first 100 downloads, and awaited developments. Within three days I'd had 1000 downloads on each. So I took them off, put them back at £1, and again, awaited developments. In three months I had sold three. Which gave me £1.80 for a quite a few hours work, and a good deal of creativity/imagination. Curses. But now things have changed. They are my second biggest selling resource (50+) and ticking along nicely. Still no reviews, no five stars - no nothing. But they are brining a suitable refund on time invested. The same goes for a few others - slow, but hey, I get to download a few quid every now and then. And do reviews make much difference? Another resource, again a quid, earned one star and the comment 'not the best I've seen', but it has still sold many more than other stuff with no reviews at all. So a negative comment may not have affected it. I did think of removing it, and reposting it, just to lose the one-star, but I thought, 'what the heck, bad publicity might be better than none!'
    Finally, in answer to the OP, yup, put it up for free, see if you get any comments, but you have to start again on the paid site if you want money. Go with your gut response. One idea I tried was 'free samples'. Something that has a few similar files, put one or two up for free, and say 'if you want more, it'll cost you - follow this link'. It seems to work for me.

cate_h and mathsmutt like this.
  7. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

I think they have stopped allowing free to paid due to the amount of people on other websites who have had friends comment in order to boost ratings and gain sales. Seems fair enough.