1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conversion to primary school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsW77, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MrsW77

MrsW77 New commenter

Hi, I work in an authority which is now converting all lower schools (year r-4) into primary schools. I am looking for some advice on the following areas. Thanks so much for your opinions and time. :)

What differences are there in the weighting of your timetables -
    year 4 to year 5
    year 5 to year 6

Which enrichment opportunities do you provide for the children at year 5 and 6 (clubs, competitions, responsibilities etc.)

How/when does the teaching and learning provision change when preparing for SATS? How is this organised in terms of ability.

If you have any other advice and suggestions it would all be very much appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've done this twice, from middle school.
    Presumably the middle schools are closing and some of those staff will choose to join the new primaries rather than the secondaries. They will bring you the expertise you need.

In my experience most clubs have been for KS2 or there are separate sessions of the same club for LKS2 and UKS2.

Teaching in year 6 is more like that in KS1 in the sense there is a heavy load of English and maths until SATs then hardly any of either.

3. MrsW77

MrsW77 New commenter

another other ideas? thoughts?

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter