1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conversion rates

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by MissEHoney, Jun 7, 2018.

1. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

I've worked out a way to work out my own conversion rates on my resources using the downloaded CSV (CVS?) file from the author dashboard. Would everyone find it useful if i put up a tutorial for this?

2. nick_redshaw

nick_redshaw Occasional commenter

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

At the moment I only have free resources, but I'm thinking of putting some paid for resources up. Before I do that, I would like to try and get my head around the idea of "conversion rates", based on the numbers shown on the author dashboard.

For example, let's say someone visits your page, and views one of your resources. They then visit someone else's page, and view one of their resources. They want to 'compare' the new resource with yours, before deciding which one to take. So they visit your page again, and view your resource again. They could do that several times before the make their mind up. So does each view get counted as a new view ? Or is there some mechanism that detects they have viewed it previously, and therefore doesn't increment the tally by one ?

And what happens if the same person views the same resource on several different dates, before deciding to purchase it ? I can't see how that would be recorded, unless the visitor's ID is somehow linked to the resource ID, and a record kept of how many times a visitor views an individual resource, regardless of whether they go on to purchase it. That sounds like it would require an awful lot of resources to keep track of everything site-wide, and I'm not convinced it's actually "do-able".

So if just "dividing the number of views by the number of sales" is little more than a "guess-timate", can anyone recommend a more scientific or realistic way to analyse your dashboard data ? Is there one ?

mrajlong likes this.
  4. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter