1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Conversations with other teachers.... can we afford to be so choosy?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Apr 22, 2011.

  1. Following on from the thread wwhere people have been saying how many application/interviews before they got their job.
    I am not happy at my current school but it gives me an opportunity to see my NQT year out. I have been applying for other posts and talking to a few people at schools I used to work at or who I know that work for the LA and although there are a lot more vacancies this year all the people I have spoken to seem to be coming up with reasons why I shouldn't work at any if them - it seems they all have some sort of problem, although some of the advice I have been given that those people think are problems are things I could see as an advantage (e.g. a new dynamic head who is making changes at a school that has been stuck in a rut too long). But also, I do not want to step out of the frying pan and into the fire, especially if I am lucky enough to secure a permanent post.
    It left me pondering, have the days of being able to 'pick' your school gone now as there is such fierce competition for jobs? I also recognise that I am quite fortunate as I have been offered an extension to my contract where I am for next year but do not have to decide whether or not to talk it until May half term.
    I have an interview on 10th May and it is not my 'preferred' school so if offered a job there do you take it? Or can you wait and see if you get other interviews? My prefeered schools are interviewing later in the term but there I might not even get interviewed there. Also the school I started at this year (maternity cover) also has a vacancy but they aren't interviewing until towards the end of term...
    I hate the uncertainty of it all and the gamble on do you/don't you take a job in case something better comes or along or in case you don't get an interview for anything else. Have others had the same concerns?
  2. GloriaSunshine

    GloriaSunshine New commenter

    I would say that you should, but I tend to be cautious.
    If you live in an area where it's easy to get a job, you can afford to be choosy, but given that you are completing your induction in temporary posts, I would think you would be safest in accepting your first offer of a permanent post, and then looking for something better. That said, if you have a really bad feeling about a school and you have the option of staying where you are, you could argue that you might be better not to accept a post at a school where you could be very unhappy.
    The problem is that you are going to be interviewed against NQTs and while some schools may value your experience, others will prefer someone they can 'mould'. There is also the problem of perceptions of teachers who have gaps in their employment, have done a lot of supply or have never had a permanent post. While a lot of schools will give you a chance, for others alarm bells ring and you may get fewer and fewer interviews.


Share This Page