1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Conditions or Exams - which are better?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Dancing_Man, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am conducting some research for on behalf of Middlesex University and I am interested in seeking the opinions of drama teachers in the UK who are familiar with GCSE specifications.
    My research looks into the relatively undocumented evolution of the different specifications available to drama teachers at GCSE today over the last 20 years, evaluating them from the practices that take place in classrooms and drama studios across the UK and considering where do they go from here, in terms of their evolution, in 10-15 years time?

In the most recent evolution of the GCSE specifications, some exam boards have gone to use Controlled Assessments and some have remained with using exams. I would like to know what your views are on the differences between the two. Whether you prefer Controlled Conditions to Exams, or vica-versa and your reasons for thinking so.

I hope that you can take sometime to respond to my question and hopefully create some discussion between us.
    If you want to know more about my research, or want to get involved, then please email me through TES.

Thanks in advance.

2. If the school is strict like mine is there is very little difference between the 2 while they are occurring. The difference probably lies in the preparation and how the 'notes' are marked etc for CC and how the revision material has been generated and how practice questions have been drilled.

I know of at least one edexcel teacher who simply refuses to do CC, she says it disadvantages her students who can't get a marked first draft. Not long how long she will get away with that! However while there is that kind of disparity between the execution of CC in different centres I will be favouring written exams.

3. I know of schools this year who allowed kids to take their work home and marked drafts. I hope they don't get away with it for long! It really isn't fair on schools/departments who've followed the guidelines so closely! I think controlled conditions works well, although there were teething problems this year, and allows for pupils to have a little more time thinking about what they want to write/say and they can go back and make amendments, unlike in an exam where they just have 2 hours and very little thinking time. I think it's a good balance between the old coursework, where I felt they were very reliant on teachers' help, and an exam, which really only takes a snapshot of that day. I say all this now but may come back and amend when the results are out!!

4. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

CC is a nonsense and many schools cheat. Exams every time.