1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled assessments

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by CathySupply, Jan 10, 2012.

1. CathySupply

CathySupply New commenter

Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise! I've been approached by several friends (and others) to support GCSE English and Eng Lit. I explain to people that while I have a (30-year-old) English degree, I am by training and experience a primary teacher, but they still seem to want me to go ahead. Usually I work on basic skills: comprehension and writing for different purposes, spelling, punctuation & grammar, which I think complements what teachers in schools are doing.
    However, one girl is insisting that I help her prepare for her CAs and I'm completely out of my depth! I really don't know what's going on. Is this cheating? How can she be an A student when her spelling etc are absolutely dreadful? She claims she's been told to quote from contemporary songs ('thinking outside the box'?) to get an A* but then says they're not allowed to give the songs' names as it's 'not sophisticated language' ... you what? I exploded and said I quoted Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' in my PhD thesis and it didn't do any harm ... is she mad or am I? What's going on? Help! Oh, she also says everything has to be entirely written in PEE paragraphs - is this true?

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

All the info you need will be online, just ask which spec she uses.

3. CathySupply

CathySupply New commenter

Thanks! That's what I did and it made a lot of things clear. I still don't understand this business about song title and lyrics but it seems to have passed over.
    In future I'm going to make it extra clear to parents that I haven't any experience of secondary school English teaching but I can help their children improve their written English and literature analysis skills. I've got to leave the teachers something to do [​IMG]