1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

controlled assessments

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by gailmg, May 4, 2011.

1. Can anyone tell me what regulations there are about giving students their controlled assessment marks/module results?
    My son knows nothing yet his cousins in other areas of the country know their module results and not only have an idea of their controlled assesment grades but can choose which bits of work are submitted.
    Where has the 'all treated the same' idea gone?

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I give mine their mark with a guesstimate grade.
    They can't choose which CA is submitted, but I have a very low ability class and if they get a U, they can do another task, different from the first (English).

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

In history all have to do the same Assessments - they are told that these (3) are the only chances they have; we haven't told them the marks in case the Board change them as part of moderation.

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

As there are no grade boundaries, I try not to give grades. SLT don't quite 'get' this.
    I don't suppose the marks are likely to change, though, unless the dept is wildly wrong.

5. http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1388/ICA.%202010%2D2011.doc
    Here are the regulations and you will see they state you can give the marks but will need to make sure the students know these may be changed by the exam board. Some subjects have CAs which are shot and therefore they do several and lick the best. In my subject which is D&T there is no way they could do another CA. So the one they do is the one they submit. (For OCR- they do 2 x 20 hours but for AQA 1x 45 hours)
    I have now found the grade boundaries for those students who did OCR subjects in January so it is possible to change these marks into what kind of grade they might get!
    If anyone wants to see these for OCR let me know

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

In my experience if you tell a pupil, that their mark is (say) 45/50 and a 'grade A*' , but that this may be changed by the exam board, then they will not 'hear' the last part and will tell their parents, friends, everyone they know on facebook, that they have an A*. If later this is moderated down to (say) 42/50 and a grade 'A' they will blame the teacher, and may well get their parents to complain about your teaching etc etc.
    For that reason I never tell students what their grade is....

7. Yes I agree. I was taking about the marks more for our use because we are asked to say what grade we think they will get on forms. What I do is say what their mark is and then say they will need to work really hard in their exams to reach a grade .....?...... They always have an exam and this way they have something to set as a goal.

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

And the reason that I never do, either.