1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessments to go?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Linguo24, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-support/94-articles/664-gcse-unitisation-faqs
    Could anyone out there who knows about these things read the information given in the above link and let me know whether this means that our new Year 9s (those starting this September) will not be doing Controlled Assessments in 2012 or is this exclusively referring to Modular GCSEs with no relevance to CAs?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-support/94-articles/664-gcse-unitisation-faqs
    Could anyone out there who knows about these things read the information given in the above link and let me know whether this means that our new Year 9s (those starting this September) will not be doing Controlled Assessments in 2012 or is this exclusively referring to Modular GCSEs with no relevance to CAs?

Thanks in anticipation.

3. ambi

ambi New commenter

Was wondering this myself today after staff meeting when we were discussing this topic. We need to know if there will be a terminal exam in writing and speaking asap so we know where we stand.

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Yes, that is what it means. Students starting a three-year GCSE in Y9 this year will not do controlled assessments, and students starting a two-year course in September 2012 won't either. Quite what they are planning to do instead and when they are going to tell us about it remains a mystery...

5. Has this been decided at Government level? I am aware of the possibilty but thought that the decision on Controlled Assessment was coming later. Where did you find this definite answer?

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

(warning: this post contains a high level of sarcasm, which some readers may find disturbing)
    I think our beloved Mr Gove just decided "I don't like it" (say it in the Little Britain voice for the full effect) and that it was perfectly acceptable to tell teachers and exam boards to rewrite exam schemes just three years after introducing them. The AQA website has a notice about it, and I confirmed it with my headteacher last week (he seemed very sure, so he may well have received information directly). I expect the exam boards are frantically putting new material together and marketing it as we speak, hence why they haven't had time to mark exams this year and used a random marks generator for whatever they couldn't get a computer to do. It's a bit like if they'd been told that Christmas this year will also be in June as well as December - kerchiiing!

7. Wow thanks for that. Didn't realise it had been decided. Last 12 months of that rubbish to go then. Can't wait to be rid of CA.

8. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

9. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

Thank you very much for this. So, as things stand, Controlled Assessments are here to stay, but they are going to try to make sure they don't distort teaching (time spent on them or methods used), and they are going to keep on eye on how 'rigorous' they are.
    I wonder how long it will be before the announcement comes that they ARE being done away with. It really gives me a great sense of focus and direction as I start with my new GCSE groups on Wednesday!

10. As I understand it, the changes apply to units which are external. Controlled Assessments are internal and have not as yet been mentioned. It means Reading and Listening will no longer be allowed as resits just one exam in each skill at the end of the course.