1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled assessments. The big picture.

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by ajtextiles, Feb 17, 2011.

1. So how is it going for everyone? Is it very different from the old couse work. I do OCR textilkes which is very different, but I know people have said AQA is almost the same. Are people keeeping to the hours set? Is your school leaning on you to put on extra sessions which I know is happening in some schools? How have you coped with absent students? My school thinks that controlled assessments are not sustainable (that is the whole set up not just D&T)

2. So how is it going for everyone? Is it very different from the old couse work. I do OCR textilkes which is very different, but I know people have said AQA is almost the same. Are people keeeping to the hours set? Is your school leaning on you to put on extra sessions which I know is happening in some schools? How have you coped with absent students? My school thinks that controlled assessments are not sustainable (that is the whole set up not just D&T)

3. Maybe you need to check out the other boards. Each one has interpreted the regulations differently.

4. I too am following the OCR syllabus for textiles. The only problem I have had is accessing computers. I am submitting the work electronically. I have given deadlines for each element of work which the students have followed. The only problems I have had is when students are absent or doing module exams in another subject. I am fortunate to have small groups of 7 or 8 students I have allowed students a maximum of 10 lessons for the making in A571 and 12 for A573.
    At present work is handed in on memory sticks but next year their will be an area set up on the schools Intranet for students to upload their work.
    Textiles is the only material area doing OCR, the others are with Edexcel. From what was put in last years moderators report the students should not be presenting their work like the old specification.

5. I have up to 20 in a group and very little time when I can use the school network as we don't have a set of computers in our D & T room like some schools have. The rest of my Dept is doing AQAbut now I've bought the books and got my head round OCR I'm reluctangt to change. Also I like the fact they do 2 projects and get half done by the end of year 10. If a student leaves as I have one this year returning to USA she is able to leave with a short course GCSE. Its the fact they have absences and other exams which makes CAs difficult and that is in other subjects too.
    It is interesting that the boards differ in their understanding of what is moderate control etc. What ever board etc the system is open to abuse. We have to trust that people are keeping to the regulations. However I do know of a teacher in another school is being pressurised to put on loads of extra sessions for students who have simply refused to come to school or not worked when present. She is however resisiting this but it isn't easy!

6. I too am reluctant to change exam boards. I think the problem is unless you have the resources to match the number of students it id going to be difficult. I have found by setting deadlines for each unit element brings focus on managing time well to students. This week I have had two students come to their senses now that they realise they are behind with their work.
    I keep a record of the time spent on coursework in the classroom and have the students gathering their research evidence in advance of starting coursework. I take the industrial approach of gathering the information first and then deciding what information can be used for controlled assessment. I have a student who did the old specification last year who said the new specification was easier to do as you were summarising your findings. Only time will tell whether controlled assessment will be successful. The way the things are going it wouldn't surprise me if we returned to the olp o level/CSE way of working.