1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessments - Plans for next year

Discussion in 'English' started by mrvonnegut, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Plans for next year: iGCSE. They've actually broken GCSE English Language and Literature. FUBAR.

2. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

We do them at the same time but as classes. As HoD I go into Assemblies and inform them about the logistics and stress the importance. At the start of the year a letter goes out informing parents of when they are. A week before parents get a text reminding them. I also make posters to display in form rooms and in the English area giving details of dates, length, title etc.
    We do them in class in exam conditions (tables arranged as such or as near as poss).
    Pupils responded really well, took it all very seriously. Might even use some y11 in assemblies to help stress the importanceof getting it right as there's only one chance!
    I don't see the pint of doing it in other classrooms. Subject specific displays? I don't know any kid who would do better because there was a display on the wall.

3. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Thanks Emma, this sound similar to what we've done this year. I agree with the classroom issue - but feel we won't have much choice in the matter. [​IMG]