1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessments - how much feedback?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by CEFMP, Mar 15, 2011.

1. No absolutely not. See http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/languages/new/german_materials.php?id=08&prev=08 for further info.

2. We do OCR and we've been told not to do any specific feedback at all and in particular not showing students their work once stage 3 is done. You should lock them in a safe and forget about them until you submit them to the exam board as they are live exam material...
    We were told it was ok to do general feedback to the whole class e.g. agreements are still an issue - please double check your work or how do you form the past tense? some people still don't know you need either avoir or etre followed by the past participle etc etc

In the age of AfL it seems madness but hey ho! I guess that's why we should be doing more practice runs that you would only use for training purposes and therefore comment on as much as we like!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

to play devil's advocate here .................. how would anyne know if you did???????
    (this is a question my y11 asked me; my answer was that I would know and that was enough)

4. Can someone please tell me exactly where on this link I should be looking?

5. I mean the link provided by CEFPM

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think this is the section, but it is open to some interpretation if you ask me!

Task Taking – High Control
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtIt" size="2">Stage One
    </font>
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">This stage refers to the general teaching and
    learning activities carried out in preparation for
    receiving the task.
    There is no time limit for this stage. Students
    may make use of reference materials of all kinds
    including course books, dictionaries and internet
    resources. The teacher&rsquo;s involvement is not limited
    at Stage One.
    </font><font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtIt" size="2">Stage Two
    </font>
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">This stage begins when students are given the
    task. This stage must be completed under informal
    supervision. This means that supervision must
    be sufficient to ensure that plagiarism does not
    take place. The work of individual students may
    be informed by working with others but students
    must provide an individual response. Where model
    answers are published, students must not reproduce
    any sections of continuous prose provided in such
    answers. Whilst students may use individual sentences
    from model answers, they must not reproduce several
    consecutive sentences from such answers in their own
    response. A student&rsquo;s response must not be identical
    to that of another student in the centre or to any
    published model answer. During Stage Two, students
    may have access to reference materials including
    dictionaries, course books and internet resources. This
    research can be carried out outside the classroom.
    Further guidance is provided in the Controlled
    Assessment Handbook.
    </font><font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtIt" size="2">Stage Three
    </font>
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">This stage is when students produce the final version.
    Students must spend no more than 60 minutes,
    per task, on writing the final version. This must be
    completed in one single assessment session.
    Students aiming at grades G&ndash;D should produce
    200&ndash;350 words across the two tasks;
    Students aiming at grades C&ndash;A* should produce
    400&ndash;600 words across the two tasks.
    Students must be in the direct sight of the supervisor
    at all times when writing up the final version.
    Further guidance is provided in the Controlled
    Assessment Handbook.
    </font>

7. "open to interpretation" is putting it mildly!!
    This still does not tell me if I can photocopy a CAW, mark the photocopy in detail, and then hand the photocopy to the pupil so that the pupil can improve before the next CAW.
    Does anyone know the exact ruling on this?

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

There is this statement:" Any feedback must be restricted to the extent to which candidates are meeting the requirements of the task. For example, your feedback on the plan must not include comments relating to language used (eg &lsquo;add a past tense') but could say the bullet point targeting past events had not been covered. " <font face="ArialMT" size="2"> </font><font face="ArialMT" size="2"> on page 7 (bottom right corner) of this document
    </font>

9. Yes, and I agree about this limited feedback during Stage Two, but what interests me is AFTER STtage Three. The pupils have written their Stage Three, under high supervision, controlled circumstances - naturally they want to know what they "got" - I could photocopy their piece, leaving the original in safe storage, I could mark the photocopy and let them see it (and all of this with the "health warning" that Mr Examiner might disagree with my marking!).

10. Common sense says that this is reasonable, but what this absurd specification allows is a re-take with a slightly different title - so you would be provide them with a perfect version of an essay, they could ask if they could re-take the CA with a slightly different title, and they would then memorise the corrected piece and re-create it at Stage 3 with a tweak here and a tweak there.
    The sooner we revert to the old spec the better. Is this on the cards does anyone know?

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

OK - by coincidence I have just had a conversation with a friend's 16 year old daughter who tells me that she "got back" her last writing assessment today, that she only got a D and so she has to do another one!
    This is for OCR, but all the exam boards seem to have more or less the same rule.

It sounds to me as what you are suggesting should be fine.

12. How can they know the grade when the exam board marks the blooming thing???
    It is therefore the interpretation of the teacher who thought the piece of work is worth a D.
    I would be really cautious of giving any type of grade to students. I usually say something along the line of I personally think you did well and you might score in the top band but this is subject to marking by exam board.
    I will also repeat again that at a training event, we were told NOT to photocopy any papers - LIVE exam material!!! And I would be so worried: photocopiers are not always nice and can decide to chew up your students' work - you might find difficult to explain to your students they need to redo it...

13. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

We have decided not to give any grades to students for the obvious reason that we cannot know them for sure. We have said to them that if we feel their work is clearly below their target, we shall suggest they write another piece. We are not going to twist arms, though. Fortunately our students are well-motivated and want to do well in the vast majority of cases.

14. in AQA frequently asked questions booklet:
    QUESTION 189: Once students have completed a task, can teachers correct and return it to pupils to help them improve in the future?
    Answer: No, because students could attempt a very similar task again and this level of feedback goes beyond what is permitted for any task that is being submitted. (i presume this makes the assumption that the very similar task attempted by the pupil would then go on to be submitted, but yet again, the clumsy way in which it is expressed is confusing)
    The fact that there are 189 FREQUENTLY asked questions should be telling the exam board that they have created a monster. I hate to think how many more infrequently asked questions have been asked!
    Has anybody been asked to give feedback to the exam boards on CA? Normally we are awash with requests for feedback from companies, but they seem to have gone very quiet lately.
    I HATE CA and want my lovely writing exam back. It was so much fairer. It never bothered me that some teachers cheated on coursework, as we did the writing exam, and we got good results, better actually than the year we trialed coursework. CA just confuses teachers and pupils and the cheats are still cheating.
    Does anybody think that writing letters / emails to exam boards would be any use? If we swamp them, will they have to listen to us?
    I have a sneaky suspicion, based on 2010 grade boundries of the new exam, that they will try and "shut us up" through flatery by rediculously generous grade boundaries. I think that they hope we will all stop moaning if our A*-C pass rate goes up. I could be wrong, but if we want rid of CA i think we need to act before August.