1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled assessment writing frames

Discussion in 'Science' started by deliasmithbook, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Does anyone have an example of one of these? I've got a literacy-challenged and bone idle year 10 set - realistically E-G - whose reading ages are scarily primary-age.
    Extended writing, by which I mean anything longer than a one-word answer, is a real problem for them. If a frame/scaffold/mat exists, I'd rather find it online than make one myself! Sentence starters, useful words - no matter that I have them on the Smartboard. If they're not on the sheet of paper in front of them, they just sit there looking helpless and then say it's too hard.
    Thank you.

2. Does anyone have an example of one of these? I've got a literacy-challenged and bone idle year 10 set - realistically E-G - whose reading ages are scarily primary-age.
    Extended writing, by which I mean anything longer than a one-word answer, is a real problem for them. If a frame/scaffold/mat exists, I'd rather find it online than make one myself! Sentence starters, useful words - no matter that I have them on the Smartboard. If they're not on the sheet of paper in front of them, they just sit there looking helpless and then say it's too hard.
    Thank you.

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Which course and exam board? The new Edexcel GCSE has a workbook which can be used for Controlled Assessment - see their website!
    Mark

4. Not allowed for OCR gateway.

5. We have it. I assume you mean the helpful checklist of "Have I ....?
    Still not enough "support" for our spoonfed babies. They want the answer started off for them (and preferably the middle and the end too).I am not happy about being made to dumb it down to this level because I believe the majority of them would be quite able to do it if they made some damn effort but I am being leaned on and have to prove that I have put support strategies in place for both Science teaching and Literacy Across the Curriculum. I suppose I'll have to sit there with the workbook and answer the questions myself, then rub out half the answer.

6. Can you get them to make their own as a start (in pairs or as individuals)? Just a contents list of what they should mention & include (table of results, diagram of equipment set-up, etc etc) if the language is their own rather than an adult's then they are more likely to understand it & be able to use it. eg 'What I discovered' rather than 'Conclusions.
    Ask them what they think is important, get them to make a list & then you can help them structure the list to include all the stuff that really is important and identify content that is optional if they want to try for more marks.
    If the set really is in the low grade region, this may help demonstrate 'independent work' and even get a few more marks, particularly if different pupils chose different parts of the common 'contents list' for their write-up. You don't say which board you are doing but with ours, we are not allowed to provide a scaffold but there is no penalty if the pupils write their experiment up in a random order - with the conclusions first, a table of results, evaluations etc in any order. They are credited for the content even though it might be a challenge to mark!
    No spoon feeding - it is bad for us all in the long run!