1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessment - OCR GCSE Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by GeneralDoyle, Aug 12, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT and started the first term of my NQT induction in May this year (Summer Term). I'm maternity cover for a one-man department and I'm essentially the Head of Music but without the title or pay! The teacher I'm covering hasn't left me any resources apart from a long-term plan in what is covered in the OCR spec from week to week and that the week before she left told me to finish the ensemble recordings and nothing else. I've had to do pretty much everything from scratch - PPTs for the theory lessons, find musical examples etc. I recorded the rest of the Ensemble performances the first week I was there, put them on a CD and filed them for the time being. Should I have assessed these already and sent my marks to the OCR board? I'm new to the OCR syllabus and I'm in the department on my own. Also, according to the long-term plan I have, they should also have done a Controlled Assessed composition, but this is in the plans to be done in Term 1 of Year 10 and it doesn't look like they've done much (if anything!) on compositional techniques, so I'm slightly concerned about the success of their compositions. Certainly, when we practised the Creative Tasks in class in the last few weeks of term, they didn't seem to have a clue how to develop musical ideas, can't read time signatures and have no idea about related key signatures or chords. The plans for Year 11 shed little light other than the Controlled Assessment on composition 2. Is there any way I can find out if she's already submitted the controlled assessment marks for their first composition (done in Term 1 of Year 10) and how do I submit their marks for the Controlled Assessed Ensemble performances? I'm only there for a year so can't really be changing much, although I would love to re-jig when they are taught specific content and do controlled assessments as there doesn't seem to be much continuity in the plans - but I've got to work with the Year 11s I've got now and try to get them through. I've downloaded the OCR spec (she took the hardcopy with her when she left too!) and I bought the Rhinegold Study Guides and Listening Tests, but (particularly as an NQT), I'm feeling a bit lost and swamped with these controlled assessments and so on. I've searched the net for any KS4 lesson plans that might help, but I'm still struggling! Any direction or help would be appreciated!!

2. I'm an NQT and started the first term of my NQT induction in May this year (Summer Term). I'm maternity cover for a one-man department and I'm essentially the Head of Music but without the title or pay! The teacher I'm covering hasn't left me any resources apart from a long-term plan in what is covered in the OCR spec from week to week and that the week before she left told me to finish the ensemble recordings and nothing else. I've had to do pretty much everything from scratch - PPTs for the theory lessons, find musical examples etc. I recorded the rest of the Ensemble performances the first week I was there, put them on a CD and filed them for the time being. Should I have assessed these already and sent my marks to the OCR board? I'm new to the OCR syllabus and I'm in the department on my own. Also, according to the long-term plan I have, they should also have done a Controlled Assessed composition, but this is in the plans to be done in Term 1 of Year 10 and it doesn't look like they've done much (if anything!) on compositional techniques, so I'm slightly concerned about the success of their compositions. Certainly, when we practised the Creative Tasks in class in the last few weeks of term, they didn't seem to have a clue how to develop musical ideas, can't read time signatures and have no idea about related key signatures or chords. The plans for Year 11 shed little light other than the Controlled Assessment on composition 2. Is there any way I can find out if she's already submitted the controlled assessment marks for their first composition (done in Term 1 of Year 10) and how do I submit their marks for the Controlled Assessed Ensemble performances? I'm only there for a year so can't really be changing much, although I would love to re-jig when they are taught specific content and do controlled assessments as there doesn't seem to be much continuity in the plans - but I've got to work with the Year 11s I've got now and try to get them through. I've downloaded the OCR spec (she took the hardcopy with her when she left too!) and I bought the Rhinegold Study Guides and Listening Tests, but (particularly as an NQT), I'm feeling a bit lost and swamped with these controlled assessments and so on. I've searched the net for any KS4 lesson plans that might help, but I'm still struggling! Any direction or help would be appreciated!!

3. Don't worry about submitting marks/performance etc. you'll send them off when you get the labels and optems forms from your exams officer around April next year. If you'd needed to send them off in the summer term (in case she'd entered them for a module in year 10) then your exams officer would have been on your case with optems forms and moderator labels. Have you found the marksheets that you will eventually need to send on the OCR website? I use the electronic ones and type them up as I go which saves a lot of time. The controlled conditions compositions won't have been sent off so should be around the department. If you can't find them you may need to speak to your line manager, or ask the pupils what they remember doing - mine would certainly remember doing a composition.
    With regards the controlled conditions compositions, you don't need to do controlled conditions every lesson, so if their composition skills have that poor, then I suggest you pick one or two topics e.g. for unit 2 pick songs and waltz (depending on their instruments etc. - I wouldn't get non-singers to do songs, and singers often find it easier to do songs) and then do a couple of lessons say on melody writing - and then a controlled assessment lesson where they write a melody for their composition, then a lesson on chords and accompaniments and then they write an accompaniment for their melody etc. Don't forget they can come up with lots of ideas outside controlled conditions time and then bring them into the controlled conditions to use in their composition. You could do some small group work/one to one work outside of lessons which would give them some ideas.
    I don't know anyone who starts with a controlled conditions composition in term 1 unless they are doing several and submitting the best - I would say as long as you have covered the ground in the SoW by the time she is coming back then it doesn't matter what order you cover things in.
    You need to talk to your mentor and line manager about this, as you need support. If you can ask them to send you on one of the OCR courses as that will help clear things up for you and they may be able to put you in touch with another school in your area that teaches OCR. OCR have some great resources on their website - especially the exemplar work. If you pm me your e-mail address I'll have a look and see what I can send you - I've got controlled assesment guidance sheets, and you can have a copy of my long term plan. However they may be at school and I'm not sure what I've got on various memory sticks.
    Hope this helps a bit

4. First of all, calm down. You've got oodles of time. Oodles (don't tell the students this, of course). When you get back to school in September (yes, don't worry about it before then!) you could do some or all of the following:
    • See the exams officer and ask when your set have been entered for the exam. The answer will probably be, "they haven't", which is good news. It will then be up to you when they sit B351 and B352. Since you have already recorded the ensemble performances you might like to do B352 next term. However, it's probably easiest to leave it all to next year, when the regular teacher will be back(?) or when you have more of a handle on it.
    • Aim for the set to do one of the Controlled Assessments next term and one in the spring. This is perfectly normal - the idea of a CA in first term of year 10 was ambitious at best and loopy at worst!
    • Try to get the solo performances recorded at the end of this term, however your school does that, whether it is a day off timetable recording (ideal), recital-style concert (ok if they don't get nervous) or in the lesson (chaos and best avoided). Use the end of the spring term as a re-record for those who were not as good as they could have been.
    • In your planning, sprinkle Creative Task lessons within the Controlled Assessment composing - it will remind them to develop their ideas and may transfer across!
    • Remember that you have to download the tracks for the listening tests. Oh and there probably was no hard copy of the specification - I never got one.
    • Get yourself on the OCR training day nearest you. Bring all the questions you have and remember that the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
    • Ring around the schools near you and find one that does OCR GCSE. Hopefully the HoD will be an experienced teacher (if not, keep looking). Try to organise an afternoon (perhaps a whole day is too much to hope for) and get over there to see how things are done. The school should be very supportive of this as it may substantially affect the results.
    Finally, calm down (again) and good luck!

5. Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback you've managed to put me a bit at ease and given me some good ideas to when I get back in September.

Thanks again.

6. Hi,

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I wasn't chased by the exams officer, so I shall have a look for the compositions when I get back. I've downloaded some of the sample materials from the OCR website and they are really helpful.
    I'm grateful for any help I can get!
    I will pm you my email address and it would be really excellent to have a look at your long term plans as I'm not really happy with the layout of the one I've got. I've already being moving things around, so instead of doing a chunk of controlled assessment in one half term, spreading some theory and compositional skills focused lessons in between.

Thanks again.

7. Hi
    I'm happy to help with any PPTs for the theory stuff, general stuff etc. Have already put some stuff in resources for some of the dance AOS3
    Let me know if you need anything AND agreed - don't panic - good luck
    Sheena

8. Hi Sheena,

That would be great, I'll check our the resources section for the AoS3 - thanks.

I'm about to start (in the next few weeks that is) the solo performance controlled assessments. One of my students is extremely lazy and musically weak - am I allowed to give the student a piece to perform or is it more appropriate they choose it for themselves?

Thanks for any help.