1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessment - Music OCR GCSE

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by GeneralDoyle, Aug 11, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT and started the first term of my NQT induction in May this year (Summer Term). I'm maternity cover for a one-man department and I'm essentially the Head of Music but without the title or pay!
    The teacher I'm covering hasn't left me any resources apart from a long-term plan in what is covered in the OCR spec from week to week and that the week before she left told me to finish the ensemble recordings and nothing else. I've had to do pretty much everything from scratch - PPTs for the theory lessons, find musical examples etc.
    I recorded the rest of the Ensemble performances the first week I was there, put them on a CD and filed them for the time being. Should I have assessed these already and sent my marks to the OCR board? I'm new to the OCR syllabus and I'm in the department on my own.

Also, according to the long-term plan I have, they should also have done a Controlled Assessed composition, but this is in the plans to be done in Term 1 of Year 10 and it doesn't look like they've done much (if anything!) on compositional techniques, so I'm slightly concerned about the success of their compositions. Certainly, when we practised the Creative Tasks in class in the last few weeks of term, they didn't seem to have a clue how to develop musical ideas, can't read time signatures and have no idea about related key signatures or chords. The plans for Year 11 shed little light other than the Controlled Assessment on composition 2. Is there any way I can find out if she's already submitted the controlled assessment marks for their first composition (done in Term 1 of Year 10) and how do I submit their marks for the Controlled Assessed Ensemble performances? I'm only there for a year so can't really be changing much, although I would love to re-jig when they are taught specific content and do controlled assessments as there doesn't seem to be much continuity in the plans - but I've got to work with the Year 11s I've got now and try to get them through.

I've downloaded the OCR spec (she took the hardcopy with her when she left too!) and I bought the Rhinegold Study Guides and Listening Tests, but (particularly as an NQT), I'm feeling a bit lost and swamped with these controlled assessments and so on. I've searched the net for any KS4 lesson plans that might help, but I'm still struggling!

Any direction or help would be appreciated!!

2. I'm an NQT and started the first term of my NQT induction in May this year (Summer Term). I'm maternity cover for a one-man department and I'm essentially the Head of Music but without the title or pay!
    The teacher I'm covering hasn't left me any resources apart from a long-term plan in what is covered in the OCR spec from week to week and that the week before she left told me to finish the ensemble recordings and nothing else. I've had to do pretty much everything from scratch - PPTs for the theory lessons, find musical examples etc.
    I recorded the rest of the Ensemble performances the first week I was there, put them on a CD and filed them for the time being. Should I have assessed these already and sent my marks to the OCR board? I'm new to the OCR syllabus and I'm in the department on my own.

Also, according to the long-term plan I have, they should also have done a Controlled Assessed composition, but this is in the plans to be done in Term 1 of Year 10 and it doesn't look like they've done much (if anything!) on compositional techniques, so I'm slightly concerned about the success of their compositions. Certainly, when we practised the Creative Tasks in class in the last few weeks of term, they didn't seem to have a clue how to develop musical ideas, can't read time signatures and have no idea about related key signatures or chords. The plans for Year 11 shed little light other than the Controlled Assessment on composition 2. Is there any way I can find out if she's already submitted the controlled assessment marks for their first composition (done in Term 1 of Year 10) and how do I submit their marks for the Controlled Assessed Ensemble performances? I'm only there for a year so can't really be changing much, although I would love to re-jig when they are taught specific content and do controlled assessments as there doesn't seem to be much continuity in the plans - but I've got to work with the Year 11s I've got now and try to get them through.

I've downloaded the OCR spec (she took the hardcopy with her when she left too!) and I bought the Rhinegold Study Guides and Listening Tests, but (particularly as an NQT), I'm feeling a bit lost and swamped with these controlled assessments and so on. I've searched the net for any KS4 lesson plans that might help, but I'm still struggling!

Any direction or help would be appreciated!!

3. I've never taught the OCR spec; try posting this on the Music forum for a quicker response. Hope someone is able to help you.

4. Thanks for that. I'm new to posting, so I hadn't realised where I'd posted this!