1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessment Madness (AQA)

Discussion in 'English' started by JADY, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Well ... no actually. Having changed from the utter Gradgrindian coursework to 100% exam format with IGCSE I can truly say the pupils and staff in our dept. have been liberated. No longer the babyminding lessons where pupils continued with coursework once the initial imput had taken place.100 % exam English IGCSE allows you to use lesson time to genuinely teach, develop and hone their writing skills without being under the constamt/ever-present pressure to assess controlled assessment.

2. I thought IGCSE was not available until next year?

3. Oh and Senior Management is no easy option believe me. Especially if you still teach and manage English!

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Are you confusing this with the EBacc? IGCSE has been available for ages.

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm not sure why you would need and/or want to mark practice essays. I don't do this. I've taught essay skills and had pupils do practice paragraphs - which get peer assessed usually - but don't mark full essays. There simply isn't time!