1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessment Horror

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by glsimons1, Mar 28, 2012.

1. glsimons1

glsimons1 New commenter

I started as an NQT in a school last September, and took over the teaching of a Year 10 group (now Year 11). They are a bottom set group - low ability - and can be incredibly challenging, behaviour wise.
    The dreaded controlled assessment moderation deadline is looming, and it has recently come to light that the group have quite a few pieces of missing work; individual assignments, obviously due to pupils absence.
    This was pointed out to my HoD at the start of the year, but I was told that it was all right, and would be dealt with at a later date.
    Recently, my HoD and mentor have both collectively moaned about how I now have left it too late to catch up said pupils with missing work, when I have merely been following the Long Term Plans put in place.
    I have had pupils coming back to complete work, but I don't think there will be enough time to catch up the remaining pupils, as they seem unwilling to co-operate and complete outstanding work.
    I feel like I'm playing catch-up for another person's mistakes, but not really sure what more I can do. Are we even allowed to be doing this at so late a date?
    Every time I mention it to my mentor or HoD they jump down my throat about it. Any suggestions as to where I go next?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

At my school we accept that there are some students (sound like yours) who need collective action to enable them to show if they can do anything. If your school doesn't understand this, sadly your pupils will fall through the cracks.
    P