1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled Assessment - Do You Have To Attach The Pupils' Notes?

Discussion in 'English' started by PCPlum, Jan 25, 2012.

1. PCPlum

PCPlum New commenter

Hi!

Just curious to see if you need/it is a requirement to attach the students' notes to their Reading Controlled Assessments once completed?

2. Not all boards demand this; Edexcel doesn't. We just send off the work - no notes
    mcclusky x

3. PCPlum

PCPlum New commenter

Does anyone know if this is the case for WJEC?

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

AQA initially stipulated only one page of notes. This was under the notion that more than one page of notes for planning wouldn't be useful. They then changed this because, I understand, other boards did not have the strict limit of one page. There are requirements, though.

I love the idea of a kid writing 'I do not plan.' Or even, 'I refuse to plan!'

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I heard a kid only this week telling his teacher that "planning is ***". I'm not sure that the teacher made him write that on the sheet though!
    I made mine do that in case SLT decided I'd not done enough by letting them not plan.

6. WJEC require notes for the tasks where students are allowed to take notes into the CA. So, notes for the Reading CA, the Spoken Language investigation and the Shakespeare/Poetry linked CA notes must be included with the work. Students are not allowed notes for the writing CAs.

7. manc

manc New commenter

It's a great course isn't it? And it's not annoyingly cumbersome in any way. Well thought out, cogent and an absolute pleasure to teach in every way (particularly the Shakespeare/poetry). Well done, everyone.

8. When AQA realised that the box on their prescribed planning sheet was a little small and suggested that students may use 'a sheet of paper', I duly sent my low-ability Year 10s into their CA with two sides of A3. Since teaching WJEC, I've made sure that pupils use as much of the one sheet of A4 specified as possible - definitely both sides. I'm normally a stickler for the rules, but the fact is, these new specs are utterly craptacular, so I see it as my pedagogical duty to help the kids cope with them as much as I can.

9. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I was told it was only one side of A4 for WJEC.
    Totally fed up with the whole process of these controlled assessments and have lost so much teaching time doing these in class time and know that in our area am not the only school who is struggling to get everything in before the exams.
    How do other schools do the controlled assessments? Do you take students out of other lessons if the time runs over the lesson?

10. It is 1 side of A4 notes.
    I agree with you on your opinion of controlled assessments. It feels as if we are racing through the course. I am seriously thinking about switching to 100% exam courses. Given that we are not allowed to offer support to students when completing controlled assessments, and they are not allowed to draft, I can't see any disadvantages. At least they will do the stuff that really counts when they are more mature rather than completing controlled assessments in the early stages of Year 10. It was ok when they completed coursework in the first year of their course because we could offer them much more support.
    I also feel that it would be fairer if assessment went back to 100% examination as the current system is fraught with problems, for example, misinterpretation of the rules about notes, if students can draft etc. Also, as a Year 11 tutor, I feel that students are under a ridiculous amount of pressure. There seems to be a constant stream of controlled assessments and unit tests.
    Personally, I don't know any teachers who are happy with the current system!

11. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Ours have to do them in lesson length chunks - so a CA of up to 4 hours + planning takes 5 lessons (we have 4 a week, so the planning is always the last lesson of the week before) They come to the lesson, do their time, go away from up to two days, and so it. It's dreadful.
    When we have the catch up sessions for absentees, they're taken off timetable for an afternoon (two lessons) and they have to do it over two weeks, which is also dreadful. We're seriously considering asking to have CAs in the way Science have their ISAs - which is a whole morning off timetable. That seems to be a much fairer way of doing it.

12. Spot on, manc!

13. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

In every way Manc, a great course!!! And now looking at the deadline for controlled assessment marks and samples to the board - 30th March - and we have not even finished the course yet! Let alone time for targeting students! Controlled Assessments taking up too much of my allocated time to teach!!!