1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Controlled assessment (AQA) - the hottest topic!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Dandolf, May 10, 2010.

1. I asked about changing and adapting them and was told that this was not actually allowed and any changes have to be within the same contexts. I used the exampl of the one for the 60's and asked if different historical periods could be used and was told categorically 'No' because that is too much of a change. They also said any changes needed to be agreed by senior moderators and it was not possible to do that at the time I was asking.
    Sorry I am only telling you what I have been told. Maybe I was premature in asking for changes but I like to plan ahead. Next September would have been too late to find out that they would not accept the changes.

2. Let us know the outcome finamar as I was also told the same as dressmate. With food we gave the girls 5 contexts and questions and they are working well within them with lots of individuality whichust be a good thing ;)

3. I am glad to hear it was not just me Christel. I would also be interested to see ohw you get on Finamar. Because if some centres are allowed to adapt and change them and others are not I would say that is a very inconsistent approach.
    I spent a long time going through the AQA briefs and in the end decided that they seemed to be too similar and also for our school quite restrictive. I have tried recycling projects with A'level students- with some success but with a considerable amount of effort on my part in helping them to find the necessary products to cut up for fabric. One of my big problems with it was how much of the sewing could be counted as being the students as if they end up using parts of a jacket (for eg) which are already sewn does it actually count as their work. This was too big a worry to me so I decided not to try it with GCSE. I know there were other briefs but we have extended technology time in year 9 so many students are already designing and making complex clothing before they even get into year 10. I need briefs which still allow them to extend their skills. they laugh at me if I suggest cushions etc because we do that in year 8. The AQA CAT tasks appeared quite restrictive to able students so I switched to Edexcel. I have taught AQA for 10 years and also work as a moderator and an examiner so i didn't take the decision easily. I really hope i have done the right thing.I also like the fact that Edexcel say you can give written feedback in line with your schools assessment for learning policy. Which in our school means continual ongoing written feedback for all students on how to achieve a higher mark (probably similar in most schools).

4. finamar

finamar New commenter

I contacted my AQA coursework adviser re changes to the design briefs and she replied with the following message:
    'You can make changes where it says e.g Gustav Klimt, you can choose a different artist, but you cannot change the brief where it says 'taking your inspiration from either 'the Age of Punk' or 'The Swinging Sixties'.
    You can however, if you feel you have a valid reason to do so, apply to AQA and submit a change to the brief and ask for their permission to make an ammendment.
    I hope that clarifies things for you.'

I'm not sure that this does clarify the situation for me but it does offer some hope. Why you can change and artist's name but not an era, is something that I find difficult to understand!

5. I am pretty sure I had the same response. Hence I moved boards because it was not really clear and as I said I feel the briefs are restrictive for more able students. Hope that you manage to sort out what to do with the briefs.

6. Hi Caroline
    Would love the copy of the assessment sheet you have adapted, struggling a bit here to format the new spec.
    Thanks
    Kieran keano23@hotmail.com

7. finamar

finamar New commenter

Have people's thoughts about controlled assessments changed now that we are all in the middle of it?
    This topic was big back in May: What about now or are we just getting on with it?

8. Just gettting on with it as with every other change and got some intersting projects- about to start food developements after mocks next week.

9. re

re New commenter

Getting along quite well - pupils less needy than in the past once they understand the bit about detailed, specific advice.

Heaerd a scary thing though - a colleague went to and AQA meeting and was told there that you were not allowed to periodiaccly mark pupils folders to give them an idea of where they are and what they need to do. This seems absolutely crazy to me! Please tell me that someone is too draconian in their not giving detailed specific advice.

10. finamar

finamar New commenter

This sounds crazy! I went to an AQA meeting but on going marking was not discussed. Does this mean we can or can't do it?
    I can understand that they don't want us to tell them what to do as we are now only allowed to give whole class advice but it seems to go against any notion of letting students know how they are doing.
    At our school we have just written reports for Y11, if what your colleague says is true then all my comments and grades go against AQA suggestions/guidelines.
    I think I'll seek advice from AQA. Has anybody else heard about this?

11. What!! I went to AQA textile meeting 2 weeks ago. I have no idea what this is on about. You can mark the work, but you are not supposed to give individualised feedback. So you cannot say, you need to do xyz to this to make it a better grade, but you can say things like, this may need more detail, but not specify what it is.
    I was also told, that really nothing had changed except you had to be able to verify kids work as their own. I have totally calmed down about CA now. I let kids do homework, as you can easily tell if someone has done their drawings etc for them. However they have to do all making in school under my eye.
    What gets me is the example in the AQA CT guide." If you have seen a student sewing sequins on, then they may finish trhis at home". This is probably the one thing that you wouldn't be able to work out, if someone else had done it. It sounds excatly like a repetitive task that anyone could do.

12. Now that we have reached the end of the 45 hours controlled assessment time and the students still have no finished, how much extra time can I give them if any??

13. AQA has taken a really sensible approach to this. They do not ask for hours to be logged and cannot police it. What we have got to do is learn from this and realign our expectation of what a realistic 45 hour projects actually looks like. If it is taking 100 hours then we are penalising the kids by wasting their time when we could be doing exam prep. This is going to be a slow transition and I cannot see any board penalising their customers in the first few years until we all get settled with the new criteria/systems. Remember, they have not been able to show us actual 45 hour CATs so far, we are effectively all in the pilot phase so stop worrying and get the jobs finished. Also remember that as far as assessment is concerned we can be selective about what evidence we send to the moderator. Is there any "padding" which took up valuable time which can be ditched to compensate for finishing the project?

14. I am glad others are concerned over the first complete run through of year 11 Controlled Assessment as I am stressed out at the moment. I have little time left with projects at various stages and know I am going to take a hit in GCSE results. If pupils receive help from a teacher, it has to be noted on the CA documentation. My question is how much of a penalty should the teacher impose on them ?

15. Bottom line is it is down to your professional integrity. You can only assess what the students have done unaided but you are a teacher and that does mean that you will help everyone to some degree. Your call..... may not penalise them at all if the work is above the expectation for a 45 hour project by a 16 year old

16. I was also told this last year - one of the reasons I chnaged to Edexcel where they say you can give feedback in line with your schools AFL policy, which is what we do. All of my students have received the same style of written feedback at regular intervals. We have never allowed coursework (practical or otherwise) to be completed at home so that is not a problem for us. Where students have missed work through exams and illness, they have come in for one or two lunchtimes to catch up. I have taught them new techniques during their development (an example here would be how to set in a sleeve) and they have used their samples and notes to use the techniques on their products. Most practical work seems to have come together more quickly, though I can not put my finger on why. I did a very rigid lesson on quality control at the beginning and this has meant that they have quality checked many aspects of their own work rather than asking me to check it for them - interesting.
    I have to teach them the techniques needed because (apart from that being my job) we don't use any commercial patterns so how else would they know how to do it? Google it? Hmm I am not sure some of the methods I have seen on the internet are what I would call 'correct' Lol.

17. Where does this rubbish come from? The guidance is clearly printed at the back of the AQA controlled assessment booklets and I quote:
    "Teachers can review draft work and provide generic advice as to the approach they may wish to adopt, the outcome must remain their own. The advice can be provided in either oral or written form and can be used to evaluate progress to date and propose suggested broad areas for improvement. It is not permissable to provide advice on specific improvements to meet the criteria, give detailed feedback on errors or omissions, or to indicate how specific improvements to presentation or content can be made.
    A clear distinction must be drawn between providing feedback to candidates as part of work in progress and reviewing work once it has been submitted by the candidate for final assessment. Once work is submitted for final assessment it may not be revised. Having reviewed a piece of work that has been submitted for final assessment, therefore, it is not acceptable for teachers to give, either to individual candidates or to groups, detailed advice and suggestions as to how the work may be improved in order to meet the assessment criteria."
    Seems as clear as day to me. You are a teacher and can teach. They are the students and have to do the work themselves (seems fair as its 60% of their GCSE!). You can assist and guide them but not after they hand the work in.

18. OCR food & nutrition CAs - just rechecking the mark scheme again and it clearly says in the heading of the first column (lower marks) support & help needed. Therefore there is an assumption that some will need help & you can adjust their marks accordingly