1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contributions to new pension scheme after retiring, then returning to teaching not showing up?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by m_mcdermott1, May 24, 2019.

1. m_mcdermott1

m_mcdermott1 New commenter

Wonder if anyone in same situation as me can clarify something for me please.
    I opted out of the protected member TP scheme at the end of 2017 (31.12.17) to protect my best 3 in last 10 years service, then retired at the end of August 2018 and claimed and started to receive my pension from 1sr Sept 2018. However, I then took up a part time (0.4) post and started making contributions in to the pension scheme again (under the new career average arrangements I assume, having opted out of the protected scheme and started to claim my pension. However, there seems to be no acknowledgement of my recent contributions in to the scheme when I log on to the TP website. I am listed as ‘reemployed’, after having retired.
    Could it be that nothing will show until I have had a full year of contributions?

When I emailed TP, they said ...
    Contributions are deducted direct from your salary by your employer but we do not record individual teacher's contributions as they are not used in the calculation of any retirement benefits that may become due.
    Contributions are independently audited so we would not necessarily be aware that they were being paid, we do not therefore automatically place members back in the scheme when they are deducted and would not be aware that you as an individual had been brought back in under one of these dates.

So, I am very confused and would be grateful if anyone else who, like me has started to receive their pension, then taken up a new teaching post could help me understand what is going on.
    Thank you

richest1 likes this.
  2. richest1

richest1 New commenter

I will be in the same position come September.

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

You may need to 'opt back in'. I had the same situation, opted out, took my pension and was then re-employed. Pension contributions were deducted but none recorded by TP. If you look on your TP record you may see you are still 'opted out', ring them and check. It isn't a problem, I opted back in and my contributions were then updated accordingly.

4. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

Hi there. I’m in the same position as the original poster. Opted out, claimed pension at 60, opted back in, went part time, and now paying in to new pension after retirement. On TP I can see under employment history that my employment after retirement is showing up. I can see statements re pension I receive. Status is retired. But nowhere can I see what contributions I’ve made since going p/t, and nowhere what new pension I’m accruing. Is this correct or should I be able to see this as the previous poster suggests. I have found phone calls to TP to be very unreliable with incorrect/ different information often given every time I contact them. So would prefer to be armed with the correct info before I ring them! Thanks to all on this forum who share their experience. It really helps. T.

5. phatsals

On my statement it does show days accrued under the new scheme, post retirement. I don't know how 'live' it is, in the old system service was updated annually on the 9th July, now it is supposed to be ongoing.

6. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

ThanksPhatsals. Mine’s showing the days/ years over my whole career and I can see the days from p/t job in that list since Sept 18. But obviously most of that time is irrelevant now, since I’ve already used them for my current pension. Does it ever change to show what you’ve accrued as new pension? I wonder if it’s because I haven’t worked a full year yet since I opted back in. Should I expect it to show that in a separate table or to receive an email with the info once I complete a year. I understand I can’t get at it until I’m 65 ( now nearly 61 and thinking I’ll do one more year) . Thanks again for your help . T

7. phatsals

It doesn't give me a figure, just shows the days.

8. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

Oh well. That’s reassuring that mine shows the same. Thanks for your swift responses. T.

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Have a look at the Benefit Statement tab. This now updates monthly and shows exactly what you have earned for a new pension at your new pension age. Mine is currently standing at just over £600 a year new pension based on NPA66. You don’t have to opt in as that should be automatic.

10. m_mcdermott1

Interesting and informative replies so far thanks.
    I can not even see an update in my service history that recognises I have returned to some teaching, even though I am correctly appearing as ‘reemployed, on my dashboard overview. I also can’t understand that if pension contributions are being deducted by my employer, and appear on my payslip, that TP say they have no record of this (so where’s is the money going?)

11. phatsals

This happened to me. I had opted out then taken my pension and was re-employed. Deductions were taken from my salary but didn't appear on TP, when I contacted them they had my updated service from the employer but couldn't add it to my account as I was still 'opted out'. I opted back in and the contribution record appeared like magic.

12. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

I had the opposite happen to me. Employment history showing added days as if I was contributing; I had opted back in. I rarely checkpayslips but did so in April and realised employer had not been deducting pension contributions so I owed six months worth! I still can’t see what new pension I’ve accrued though. Says it’s not possible. I suspect it’s because I’ve been opted back in for less than a year since drawing pension at 60? It’s all v complicated isn’t it?

13. m_mcdermott1

Thanks phatsals, seems like I’m in exactly the same position you were. I’m curious though, that when you say you ‘opted back in’. It can not mean going ‘back in’ the protected member scheme, as you are in receipt of your pension based on this and calculated on its contributions up to when you opted out of it. I assume you mean you have given notification to ‘join’ the new, career average scheme? What I can’t understand, is that by having deductions taken from our pay for this (new) scheme why we are not already ‘in it’ (especially as there is an auto enrolment in to it, that we have to specifically opt out of if we don’t want to be in it). Also, is there not a danger that by opting ‘back in’ (if it does mean the old, protected scheme) that this will conflict with / affect the pension already being received?

14. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

I have two employers - after taking my pension and then being re-employed on new contracts. One is taking contributions and one did but seems to have stopped - I really need to investigate. My employment in the new scheme is shown in my work record on the TP site but that doesn't look quite right either. I just can't get very motivated to sort it out - but I must!!