1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contribution to pension whilst supply teaching?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Izzi, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Izzi

Izzi New commenter

Does anyone have any experience of paying in to a private pension whilst working as a supply teacher? I'm new to supply after having had a permanent role for the past 5 years and am worried about not having enough going into my pension pot. Any bright ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You probably need some independent financial advice.

If you earn over a certain amount with any agencies you work for they will give you options for enrolling in any pensions they provide but the returns are nothing like the Teachers Pension Scheme.

That is a big drawback for supply.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you work via an LA/agency consortium, as I did in Lancashire, you are paid for supply work at the proper date and can carry on paying into the TPS.
    You can also carry on paying into TO A if you sort out supply work direct with schools. Would you want to take supply at your old school? If so, arrange it direct, not via an agency.

pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. Izzi

Izzi New commenter

Thank you both of you for your advice. That was actually another thing I was going to post about - whether anyone has had much luck with providing supply cover direct rather than through an agency with local schools that they know. Am having a less than ideal service from at least one agency I'm dealing with (that's me being polite by the way). I guess I'd better start a new thread for that one though!

pepper5 likes this.