1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contribute to better understanding of SENCo role and needs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by benjhulm, Jan 10, 2019.

1. benjhulm

benjhulm New commenter

I'm doing some quite broad research for a major publisher of assessments and other resources into how SENCOs in England see their role at the moment, what's working and what isn't. I'm looking to line up a few phone interviews with Primary and Secondary school SENCOs/managers. £25 Amazon vouchers are offered by way of thanks. If you'd be willing to share your thoughts, could you let me know using this very short form? https://goo.gl/forms/ADl06Q45ipQfc2hZ2

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I scanned this article and it seems to be that plus ça change .... when I was first appointed in 2002 there were the same arguments / comments and observations re the role/ responsibility/ ‘ status ‘ / workload. I finished full time as Head of Curriculum Support in 2011 and was fortunate to be invited to be part of a team which delivered the NASENCO award / accreditation in its infancy ....and yes the same conversations / complaints and grievances were being aired by participants. Fast forward to 2019 and ..... I think you can only be an effective SENCO ( or equivalent) if you have the support / confidence of your Head ( I was lucky initially ) / your LT alongside integrity, ‘ street cred ‘ and a capacity to think differently.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Oh yes and in spite of my experience with the Award I remain sceptical about how it actually improves / impacts on provision / practice in schools ...

5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

You are way behind ben. SENCO Workload survey is published, senco forum gives evidence in parliament select committees already, and NEU/Bath Spa etc have already lobbied to legally protect SENCO time in schools.