1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contractual obligations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marge44, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I resigned and left my post at the end of my NQT year completely stressed and without another secure job to go to. My year has been successful through lots of hard work without ant support!! Unfortunately the head has decided not to process my NQT year until all marking has been completed and returned to the school bt the new year! Can anyone advise me whether I am contractually obliged to do this?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Why did you take the marking home? You are in possession of school property. I suggest you do as they ask if you want NQT status.

3. I felt bullied into doing so, but would like the kids I have left behind not to suffer in their progress due to the untimely loss of their teacher.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

By taking the marking home you assumed a responsibility to mark it

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You want a reference. You want to pass your NQT year. You do the marking. It's not that difficult.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness me!
    I can well understand that you are feeling upset and depressed by all that's happened to you. But really, just doing the marking (and thinking as you do it that you'll never see those pupils again!) is the best thing.
    It sorts the NQT problem (do you really want to get into a long drawn-out battle with the school over that?), and also sorts the problem of you having a Big Black Mark for removing the paperwork without permission.
    So see it as a task to RID yourself of that school for ever. See it as a task to SHOW them that you are a good, caring teacher!
    Do the BEST marking that you have ever done!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S.
    If you left at the end of this term, then YES, you are most certainly contractually obliged to complete your term's work - including marking - by 31 December, which is the last day that you get paid.
    If you finished your NQT year and left some time ago, you are dead lucky not to be in serious trouble about that marking that you have still got . . .
    Just sit down and do it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

8. I'm surprised you think it would be professional *not* to do it? Should someone else pick it up?

9. I can't think what the alternative would be? To marking work you set for your pupils and they took the time to complete?

10. dande

dande New commenter

I think it would/should depend on the actual work to be marked. Are you primary or secondary. If it's examination work then by all means mark it but the teacher taking over/head of department has to sign to say that it has been assessed accordingly and really they should re-mark it to give the mark that they think as they take on responsibility for it.