1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by gooner20041, Sep 12, 2017.

1. gooner20041

gooner20041 New commenter

Hi... I have a permanent job but looking to leave,have been offered another job on 1 year temporary contract. Don't know what to do. Does anyone know if my continuous service and pay rate carry over to new contract going from academy to lea school.

Just want peoples thoughts.

Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Hi gooner20041
    Congratulations on securing a new job ... you must be pretty unhappy where you are to be considering moving from a permanent contract to a one year? I don't know much about this, but would imagine it should be possible to carry over your continuous service with the LEA (for pension, holidays, etc) but the pay rate will be the rate that goes with the job - and schools make their own decisions about what they pay their TAs. If a Deputy Head decided to step down and go to another school as a TA, they wouldn't still be paid at DH level!
    Good luck if you decide to move.

3. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Could someone help me work out what would it pay a month, please? If it says term time only does it mean there's no holiday pay? Sorry but confused.

IMG_3591.PNG

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I haven't checked the maths but I think the job ad answers your question. The actual gross salary you would receive would be between £9,716 and £12,531 annually depending where on the scale you are appointed. That takes into account that you are only paid for term time and only paid for 26.25 hours a week. Normally (check this with the school) although the work is term time only they pay the salary in 12 equal monthly instalments. i.e. between approx £810 and £1,044 gross per month depending where you are on the scale.

5. olunchick

Oh! Of course it makes sense!

6. olunchick

Thank you!