1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

contracts

Discussion in 'Independent' started by newmummy1, Sep 4, 2017.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hi. I work in a lovely independent school, part time on a fixed term contract. I have been there a year and my contract was extended for a further year but is still fixed term. The main reason behind this seems to be that the school don't know what the timetable need will be next year. Is anyone else in the same boat? I have a colleague in my department also on a fixed term. I worry they may decide only to keep one of us and I may lose out. It's making me quite insecure and anxious.

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

Congratulations on finding the right school for you. They clearly think alot of you - so try to worry less if you can....

If there is someone you trust, have a chat with them to try and sort out any insecurities and fears :)

newmummy1 likes this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Once you have worked in the school for two consecutive years (it doesn't matter if these were fixed term contracts, as long as they were back to back without a break) you acquire the right not to be unfairly dismissed.

This means that the school can only dismiss you (or fail to renew for a third year, in layman's language) for a fair reason. If the school's need reduces to employing one of you, rather than both, it may make one of you redundant'. However, it will need to demonstrate a fair selection process and pay redundancy pay, if it is not to be on the wrong end of a complaint for unfair dismissal.

After four consecutive years, you have the right to be treated as a permanent member of staff, unless the school can demonstrate a good business reason for continuing to employ you on a fixed term basis.

4. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Update on this. My colleague and I will both be interviewed for the single position that is bring advertised for next year. My colleague has a slight advantage in that they have an existing friendship with the head of staffing and our HofD. What can I do, other than the usual interview preparation, to make sure I am treated fairly, and get the job.

5. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Have you any idea if the head of staffing and HoD will be on the interview panel, or how much say they will actually have?

Personally if I was a headteacher taking someone on, I would have a bias against appointing a friend of a colleague. You don't want a ready-made clique in the school. (Heads' spouses are the exceptions to this of course :))

Best approach is to forget the friendship issue, as you have no idea if it matters and you can't compete with your colleague on that basis anyway. Most likely it doesn't matter, as on the whole a headteacher wants the best person for the job.

So... check the person/job spec, look at how you can present/strengthen yourself in specific areas, and think about other strings to your bow that the school needs or might need in the near future and add these to your pitch. If you fight for this job and win it, well done. If you don't win it, then the fight is great preparation for whatever you apply for next.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Clearly not enough of an advantage to simply be offered another year's contract which could easily have happened.

Just pretend you don't work there and write the best possible application, perform as well as you can in interview and go for it! There is nothing else to be done.
    Maybe mention about another post you have seen which you are also applying for, to make sure they know that if they don't appoint you, they will lose you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.