1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts with the Ministry of Education Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cams96, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

Not true. Many landlords take postdated cheques. It's also becoming more common that they take their version of standing orders, but that's still pretty uncommon.

2. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

Genuinely interested where you've found a better one? This is for a non-leadership role in KG-12 schools as an EMT (English Medium Teacher).

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

"EXACTLY. Where would you be able to take home £54Kafter tax?"

Plenty of places @jezperrott ....i take home significantly more than this and im nowhere near the middle east

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Salaries once only available in the Middle East due to it been a hardship posting are now available in other parts of the civilised world.

With the ME looking like its heading towards a religious civil war I will not even contemplate a 4 hour stop over flying home in the summer never mind working in the region.

5. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

Fantastic! Where? I can't find anywhere like this. I'm willing to move anywhere in the world to save for a house. Where are you working?

mjtheron likes this.
  6. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

Where? I'm finding it impossible to find places where there is the saving potential of the UAE.

7. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

Oh, and also genuinely interest in my 'manipulation' of the figures... If I made a mistake, I'd like to know as I'm basing my decision on them.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

There is a fairly simple solution to this...
    1. STOP look at British curriculum schools, and look at IB and other curriculums.
    2. Join Search Associates. It gives detailed information on all its schools packagss and benefits, and even gives a suggested "savings potential". Something that would be really useful for the TES to provide.

9. february31st

Shanghai.

10. yesminister

yesminister New commenter

Or anywhere in China where it is a proper international school with a package. Tax is A LOT though in china (25%). This is A LOT to pay in asia. The only way round it is to ask for more money but schools in china just aren't paying especially company owned schools. They don't want to pay for ANYTHING that they don't have to. Also living in Shanghai means you will spend probably £150per week eating and drinking out and shopping....that's £600 per month at least maybe even£1000. It is better to live in cheaper areas of China where there aren't really expensive restaurants which charge £15 for a tasty hamburger for example. You can eat out in china for £1 a meal if you really want to eat Kung Pow chicken (bits of chicken with loads of nuts and some nasty spices) or Tongzilijin (stir fried pork). However, if you lived in Shanghai where there are a tonne of oops...ESL teachers and "international" teachers, then you will definitely spend that wad of cash or some of it anyway. Plus salaries in China seem stagnant at most up to 35, 000 a month. I don't know anyone on 40,000 RMB per month in China or anyone who has had that salary and I do know a handful of teachers who left Shanghai and the areas around there.

But anyway on 26-30 000 RMB NET per month (which is what MOST teachers are on dont believe people on here who say 40-50 in normal) then you can save £2500 of that per month by not going out, cooking at home and drinking water.

11. february31st

Just eaten out wirh my family at a Teppanyaki restaurant here in shanghai, total prince 17GBP. So it can be cheap to eat out, sometime a family light lunchtime meal can cost 5GBP in a local restaurant.

As for salary 40k rmb net income a month is a common amount for a classroom rank teacher.

12. yesminister

40k Net per month would only be offered in central shanghai or a large school in shanghai. schools are going bust in shanghai as there are too many of them competing. shareholders DONT want to pay teachers more than about 35000. This is on the ground and I have spoken to several teachers who have worked in china and they all say the same thing. You can earn more in shanghai yes, but that's te only place to get a big wad of money. Noone at my school is on 40k net.

13. february31st

There are 250 schools in Shanghai thst can employ foreign teachers, salaries varry considerably. Sometime the unknown schools pay more then the rent-a-name ones.

14. yesminister

250 what schools in Shanghai that can employ foreign teachers? International ones? Or language centres?
    So you agree with me then that 40k NET is NOT the NORM....ie if you phoned up any random school in China and said "Hey what's your salary for mainstream teacners. they wouldn't say 40k NET almost all the time then?" 30k is a more likely sum I think. Maybe Shanghai is 40 IDK. It's expensive to live there though. Almost as expensive as HK so I amtold.

15. ks340skh

ks340skh New commenter

I want to go for the MoE project.. i am told i will be placed in the northern part of UAE.. to start in August 2018.. anyone already out there in the northern part and thats places like Ras al Khaima, Al Ain, etc... and i want to move with my husband and kids. Any advice? What are the schools like? LOCAL area? How easy is it to find cheap but nice accomodation and so forth.. any help would be greatly appreciated..

16. lordina2805

lordina2805 New commenter

Hi, can I please be added to this facebook group? facebook name is Cuckoo Bundy, we are also in the same boat waiting for final contract.

Many thanks in advance

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

What schools are your kids going to attend? Local UAE schools? I'm sure they'll assimilate just fine /sarcsarm

18. tzafar

tzafar New commenter

Hi marko
    Did they offer you visa for your spouse or is that something usually done upon arrival?

19. suchisehrawat08

suchisehrawat08 New commenter

hi ...please
    reply if
    HI HAVE U GOT THE CONFIRMATION?

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

They really are taking just about anyone!

mully91 likes this.